Corporate Intern (Buying, Merchandising, Inventory Planning) - ReqCode 16000EEI 9/7/2016
Dick's Sporting Goods
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DescriptionAt DICK'S Sporting Goods, interns have the opportunity to work with and learn from the leaders of a growing Fortune 500 company. DICK'S Sporting Goods is returning to campus this year; to recruit, train and develop top collegiate talent into well-rounded merchandising interns.
During the 11-week summer experience, interns will take on meaningful work assignments and make tangible contributions to the organization's success. This structured and well-organized program provides on-the-job training, classroom instruction, cross-functional departmental exposure and an end-of-program project presentation.
Interns are assigned to a training manager within Merchandising or eCommerce - primarily an Inventory Planner, or Buyer. Past interns have worked in areas including Nike Apparel, Fitness, Golf, Footwear, Team Sports (Football, Baseball or Basketball), Lodge, and more.
Areas of Placement:
Allocations & Replenishment (Assistant Inventory Planner Intern):
The goal of an assistant inventory planner intern is to develop a skill-set that allows for accurate execution and optimization of available systems to ensure the right product, gets to the right place, at the right time to meet customer demand.
* Leverage corporate and ad-hoc reporting to review and react to store inventory concerns, trends, and opportunities
* Utilize analytical skills to make data driven decisions to correctly manage and allocate inventory
* Provide critical input into determining how to most effectively utilize our inventory to support merchandise plan, advertising, regional, and competitive initiatives
* Maintain proper inventory levels by store location to support sales, margin and turn goals
* Understand the role of Supply Chain to balance and adjust levels of inventory flow to stores
Buying (Assistant Buyer Intern):
The goal of an assistant buyer intern is to gain insight on how a department level merchandise strategy is built, an assortment is chosen to support the strategy (including the private brands) and how these align to meet the financial expectations.
* Discuss the business by utilizing various reporting tools to gain and interpret data
* Participate in internal meetings with other merchandising teams and vendor meetings by sharing information and opinions as appropriate
* Assist the buyers in the in-depth development of merchandise assortments by category
* Research economic, financial, market, competitive and industry data to explain current business trends and anticipate new trends or big ideas
Some of your experiences will include:
* Multi day intern orientation to introduce you to the company, the program, Pittsburgh, and your classmates
* Professional development workshops designed to increase your knowledge of the company and the retail industry, as well as develop their business acumen and office professionalism
* Extensive exposure to our senior leadership through our exclusive intern only Executive Speaker Series which includes a private lunch with our CEO
* Opportunities to 'live the brand' and experience summer fun outside the office through various events
* Fully furnished summer housing is provided for interns who reside outside of the Metro Pittsburgh area
* Working a 40 hour work week, Monday - Friday
QualificationsSkills we are looking for:
* A competitive spirit with a passion for results
* An interest and confidence in working with data and numbers; strong mathematical/quantitative skills highly preferred
* Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to independently make data-driven recommendations
* A curiosity and desire to learn about consumer and retail trends, including customer demographics, purchasing influencers and emerging technology
* Dynamic written and verbal communication style to read and write reports, as well as communicate cross functionally and vertically throughout the organization
* Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
We look for potential candidates with:
* A GPA of 3.2 or higher
* Graduation date of December 2017 or Spring 2018
* A major in Finance, Accounting, Supply Chain, Marketing, Management, Economics, or other related
business or retail major
* Strong proficiency in Excel
* An ability to relocate to the Pittsburgh, PA area for the summer
Start Date: May 22, 2017
End Date: August 4, 2017
Full-time opportunities in 2018:
Interns will be evaluated at the end of the program for full-time positions in 2018.