Trustees of Dartmouth College
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY ADVERTISEMENT TEXT
Under supervision from the Custodial Squad Leader or Custodial Supervisor, performs a wide variety of tasks; cleaning and unskilled building maintenance, event set ups, and animal and insect control, which include medium to heavy lifting activities inside and outside a variety of the College s facilities. These facilities could include office space, laboratories, eating facilities, public areas, auditoriums, etc. Implements recycling procedures.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
* Ability to operate and maintain heavy industrial cleaning
equipment (vacuum cleaners, powered scrubber, buffer, carpet shampooer) and other hand operated tools.
* Ability to understand and or knowledge of safe use of various chemical substances used in cleaning purposes and insect control.
* Familiarity or ability to learn different table/chair arrangements for event set ups.
* Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
* Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor, including lifting and carrying light to medium weight objects.
* Must successfully complete the following training prior to performing work to which the training relates: Hazard Communication, Blood Borne Pathogens.
* Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse population.
* One year experience related to custodial and/or housekeeping duties and responsibilities.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others and autonomously.
* Not applicable.
Regular Full Time
DEPARTMENT CONTACT FOR COVER LETTER
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS
Schedule: 2:00 p.m.-10:30 p.m., Monday-Friday; Saturday/Sunday off
UNION POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO SEIU UNION MEMBERS ONLY DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF POSTING. AFTER ONE WEEK OF POSTING, IF THE POSITION HAS NOT BEEN FILLED INTERNALLY, IT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE DARTMOUTH COMMUNITY.
OPEN TO UNION MEMBERS ONLY FROM (12/5/2016) THROUGH (12/11/2016).
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
* On a daily basis or when appropriate: unlocks and locks assigned spaces; cleans, mops, strips, waxes, and buffs all hard surface floors e.g. stairways, public restrooms, kitchen areas, laboratories, dining rooms, hallways; vacuums and shampoos carpeted offices, hallways and common areas; washes windows (inside and outside) in entrance halls; dusts office furniture and window sills.
* On a daily basis: cleans public restrooms and showers; scours, disinfects, and deodorizes toilet bowls and sinks; wipes and cleans counters/vanities; polishes mirrors; replaces and stocks restroom supplies.
* On a daily basis: empties office and common area trash cans; implements FO&M recycling procedures; picks up, bags, and removes all trash inside building as well as loose trash around building perimeters to designated areas.
* On an as needed basis: Performs major set up and break down for College events (e.g. on the average 30 8FT tables and 350 chairs); sets up a variety of planned events based on the design of the arrangement specified in the work order; sets up and places tables, chairs, lecterns, podiums, dividers, platforms, coat racks, etc. Places covers on tables.
* On an as needed basis: sweeps dirt and leaves and shovels snow from walkways and spreads sand on walkways at least 3 feet from all entrances to buildings at start of and throughout day. Sets traps to catch a variety of rodents and takes captured rodents to outside area for release. Sprays inside and outside of buildings with various chemicals to control insects.
* On an as needed basis: keeps note of cleaning materials and equipment needed to do the work. Notifies Squad Leader when more materials are needed or when equipment is in need of repair or replacement. May, on occasion, act in the squad leaders absence or assist the squad leader.
Performs other duties as assigned