This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2016
END DATE 11/19/2016
StanCorp Financial Group, Inc.
JOB DESCRIPTIONMORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS JOB:
If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you ll fit in at The Standard (www.standard.com). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
IT at The Standard
When you work at The Standard, you are part of a company that provides customers financial well-being and peace of mind. As a member of our IT team, you work side by side with the business, pursuing strategic opportunities for our company. It s an exciting time with new products, new distribution channels and new customer needs that are driving big investments in technology. At The Standard, we are large enough for big opportunities and small enough for big impact.
The Standard is looking for a passionate and driven individual with a mind that loves data to be a Senior Data Engineer on a Portland-based team poised to revolutionize one of the most critical parts of our business.
This team is responsible for transforming the digital experience of our customers, streamline our operations, and revolutionize the way we deliver software. We re a startup inside a multi-billion dollar company with big objectives, and we re looking for somebody who is up for a challenge.
What You ll Do
* Bring new applications, repositories, and processes to the table that improve the quality of our data and the systems that consume it.
* Work directly with leaders and executives to understand the information that powers our operations and customer experience.
* Work with new tools, technologies, and infrastructure to deliver new software products to our customers and modernize our existing operational platforms.
* Sling code We ll be developing prototypes, proof-of-concepts, and highly-scalable software products upon which our customers and internal operations rely. You ll write code and queries to power the information flow of these applications.
* Develop new and exciting analytics and intelligence that helps us understand our markets, risks, and customers in new and innovative ways.
* Be a careful steward of our customer s data They rely on us to keep their data safe and secure.
Who We Want
We re after somebody who really stands out from the crowd An engineer who lives and breathes in data. If you re a good candidate, you will have:
* Amazing critical thinking skills with the ability to take abstract concepts and ideas, distill them down, and make them real. You want to understand not only how something works, but why it works and how it can be improved.
* A keen sense for problem solving - sniffing out issues and bugs during development and in production systems.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to switch contexts between highly technical and business-focused topics.
* The ability to see data from a number of different elevations. You know how to model databases from their high-level entities, but you also know how to get far lower and dig into query execution plans.
* A pragmatic data mind that knows several different ways to couple applications to data, and understands the best approach to use under certain constraints.
* Lots of experience working in highly-iterative development processes. You understand the principles of them, but aren t married to any particular methodology.
* Data modeling and development skills in multi-tier and highly scalable applications, particularly:
* Relational database modeling and design on a number of different database platforms, including Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle. You know how to design databases pragmatically, finding the normal in normal-form, and you know your identities from your sequences.
* A wealth of experience in the structured query language world. Experience with both T-SQL and PL-SQL, including procedures, functions, views, and triggers. You know when to use em, and just as importantly, you know when not to.
* Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) development with a firm understanding of the concepts therein.
* Analytics development using the Microsoft Business Intelligence (MSBI) stack, including both SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) as well as SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS.)
Who We Really Want
If you can check all the boxes above and still want to stand out from the crowd, our ideal candidate will also have:
* A development background that goes beyond SQL and databases. You ve built the applications and web services that rely on the data too. You know acronyms like REST and SOAP just as well as PK and FK.
* Synthetic data modeling and metadata management with some experience in the concepts of master data management (MDM) and enterprise information integration (EII.) You know why most MDM initiatives fail and can guide us in the right direction.
* Impressive successes in real-time data integration. You ve taken information from a number of different source systems, glued it together, and delivered it to a consuming application in real-time.
* Built integration to cloud-based and other SaaS solutions, particularly SalesForce.com. You ve worked with hybrid topology solutions and you ve plugged SalesForce.com into other solutions bi-directionally.
* Developed applications and databases at Millions of rows and terabytes of data don t scare you, they motivate you to optimize queries and seek out new ways of doing things.
* Experience in new and/or open source relational and no-SQL database technologies. You are at home with relational systems such as MySQL, MariaDB, and Postgres, no-SQL databases like CouchDB and Dynamo, and caching databases like memcache and Redis. You know what tool is right for the job.
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
For more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity applicant rights, please visit the URL: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf,