Data Management Specialist III 9/17/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Description:
The Data Manager will be an integral member of the team, connecting to the project managers, scientific researchers, administration, and the Broad Institute's central IT. In particular they'll work closely with the Administrative Director and Scientific Advisor to develop protocols for efficient data transfer and management, establish and maintain user-friendly databases to facilitate and optimize the interaction between scientific researchers and project managers, incorporate the use of cloud storage, and monitor the financial cost of our data footprint.
As a member of the Stanley Center and the Broad Institute, they'll be part of a vibrant and fast paced research environment with close ties to MIT, Harvard and the Harvard-affiliated hospitals. Our collaborative projects span much further than Boston however; with recently established partnerships in Mexico, China, Japan, and Africa. These international efforts will enable us to engage the broader psychiatric research community and to, ultimately, reduce the impact of severe mental illness globally.
* Data storage management:
* Manage data storage and access for Stanley Center research groups including Genetics, Stem Cell, Therapeutics & Neurobiology.
* Monitor usage trends, expenses, and evaluate services available internally and externally to ensure our strategy continues to be optimal and efficient.
* Help develop, implement & enforce data storage and retrieval policies for genome analyses.
* Report on data usage, at least monthly, and engage with users to see that best practices are being followed.
* Support Stanley Center lab manager with instrument data storage, as needed.
* Data transfer activities:
* Work with internal and external collaborators to deliver data and keep databases up to date.
* Obtain sequencing and genotyping data sets from public databases such as dbGaP.
* Coordinate the transfer of data to public resources such as dbGaP and the NIMH Repository
* Curate and manage internally and externally derived data sets.
* Transitioning to the cloud:
* Work with the compliance manager, software engineers and central IT to plan for a transition to cloud storage.
* Assist data analysts and project managers in handling this transition.
* Other responsibilities:
* Organize and develop protocols for data management on internal file systems.
* Help maintain data sharing accounts for Principal Investigators in the genetics group as needed.
* Work with project management to help in data sharing activities.
* Interface with Broad's central IT liaison to the Stanley Center about the center's needs and keep abreast of IT process updates or changes.
* Bachelor or Master's degree in computer science, bioinformatics, or computational biology; bachelors in genetics, biology, life sciences, or related fields considered if sufficient computing skills can be demonstrated.
* Minimum 2+ of years, preferred 6+ years of related post-degree experience.
* Good programming skills and experience with coding in python and/or Perl.
* Proficiency in using a Unix environment and excellent knowledge of how to conduct a broad range of file system tasks.
* Familiarity with genomic data, computational tools and databases a plus.
* Knowledge of cloud computing a plus.
* Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to connect with multiple subgroups within the institute.
* Must be flexible and able to respond to shifting priorities in a dynamic and highly collaborative setting.
* Must be self-motivated and conscientious.
The Broad Institute will not offer Visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities