Data Solutions Architect
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/14/2016
END DATE 10/14/2016
Boston Consulting Group
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Company Information
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a global management consulting firm and the world s leading advisor on business strategy. We partner with clients from the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors in all regions to identify their highest value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their enterprises. BCG was founded in 1963 and is a privately owned firm with more than 7,000 employees across 85 offices in 48 countries. Integrity, respect for the individual, delivering value, and making an impact on society are just some of BCG's core values. BCG's commitment to both our clients' success and our own standards is what sets BCG apart as a world-class professional services organization. Join BCG - start your career at a company that is consistently ranked as the leader in its field, and is acknowledged as one of the best places to work.
Our clients are senior business executives who value BCG's strategic, fact-based, and impact-oriented approach supported by highly experienced senior expert teams and rich benchmarking databases and analytical capability. BCG has a number of flagship software products that support our core capabilities. These products are critical to the success of our project teams to deliver superior quality insight and implementation of major change efforts. The FSE team has been an invaluable partner of the Practice Areas in this endeavor. Together, we have custom developed and deployed a number of software products with proven success in the field.
The Data Solutions Architect will play a critical role in driving next generational development of these software products, likely collaborating in successful multi-million dollar, multi-year investments. Under general guidance from the Product Development Technical Lead, this role will define the design & architecture of software products & technology initiatives with a focus on data definition, generation, acquisition, consumption, storage, transmitting, access & analytics. The successful candidate will be providing project team members and third party vendors the relevant leadership and guidance in order to understand, adopt & implement industry best practices & mature leading edge technology solutions in the context of data analytics.
Data Solutions Architect Leadership:
* Performs a key management & thought leadership role in the areas of advanced data techniques, including data modelling, data analytics, data access, data integration, data visualization, database design & implementation.
* Setting the vision, gathering requirements, gaining business consensus, performing vendor & product evaluations, mentoring business & development resources, deliver solutions, training & documentation.
* Collaborate with FSE leadership & software development teams to devise appropriate data strategies
* Provides the technical & functional leadership on adopting the most appropriate data management strategies & systems
* Advises the FSE leadership on adopting and/or transitioning to Big Data patterns of data management
* Active member of product development leadership teams, contributing data architecture expertise
* Prepares data governance strategies & plans for software product deployment
* Guides & defines the data infrastructure requirements for software product development & deployment as well as data growth projections & plans
* Guides & defines the data storage & database choices (SQL & no-SQL) most appropriate for the software product
* Communicating & managing data & integration requirements across teams & vendors
* Leads the teams responsible for data quality in defining data quality standards & their adoption in software product development
* Leads data tool & solution evaluation for adoption in product design & architecture
* Identifies the simplest, most elegant data solution constrained by cost, quality, responsiveness & time to market
* Champions the industry best practices in data management strategies, including cloud based (public & private) approaches.
* Works with the FSE leadership team on identifying relevant industry data best practices
* Mentors and directs other, more junior members of the team.
* Performs other projects and duties as assigned or required.
* Moderate amount of traveling dependent on project requirements.
Basic Job Requirements
* BS/BA Degree in software engineering, computer science, mathematics or related field; advanced degree preferred
* Minimum 10 years of experience in software development and data architecting with extensive knowledge in this area
* Significant experience holding product development roles with emphasis on data strategy design
* Significant experience on performing & programming data analytics
* Business intelligence and analytics product experience desirable.
* Excellent knowledge in the following fields, technologies, and tools:
* Different software development models and life cycle, including continuous delivery
* Database design, storage planning, data governance
* Desirable experience and knowledge:
* Relational database management systems (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL)
* Hierarchical, NoSQL databases (CouchDB, DocumentDB, DynamoDB, MongoDB, Cassandra)
* Cloud (AWS, Azure) and data warehouse software
* Big data and analytics technologies (Hadoop, Spark, Storm, R, Alteryx)
* Visualization platforms (Tableau, PowerBI)
Problem solving, analytical skills and decision making
* Effectively handle difficult, stressful situations with poise, tact and patience; demonstrating a sense of urgency
* Anticipate, identify, and solve critical problems proactively; make decisions with strong business sense
* Identify long lead time elements of work and plan accordingly
* Flexible, self-motivated, and proactive out-of-the-box and critical thinker
Communication, interpersonal and teaming skills
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Fluent written and spoken English (other languages are desirable)
* Ability and willingness to give and receive honest, balanced feedback
Work management, organization and planning
* Excellent organizational skills; strong attention to detail, efficient time management, effectively prioritize work
* Independently and proactively communicates issues, priorities, and objectives
* Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, demanding environment
Customer and business focus
* Strong collaborative skills and able to adjust approach to effectively interact with customers at all organizational and technical levels
* Focus on excellent customer service and user needs
Values and ethics
* Demonstrates competence and character that inspires trust.
* Ability to respect all BCG and client information as personal and confidential
* Must be able to perform successfully in a fast-paced, intellectually intense, service-oriented environment and to interpret rules and guidelines flexibly to enhance the business and in keeping with BCG s values and culture.
* Experience working successfully within a complex matrix structured organization is essential.
* It is necessary to have the ability to understand and manage complex reporting relationships and incorporate multiple labor laws and cultures.
The Boston Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Boston Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity / expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable