Database Designer 9/8/2016
Westfield Insurance Group
Westfield Center, OH
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY BUILD YOUR FUTURE, WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer s future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Salary: 103,828 - 119,402 - 134,976
Database Designer Job Summary
With little or no supervision, the Database Designer is responsible for: (1) Database design and architecture, database programming, data analysis, data modeling, data integration, and data warehousing; (2) Analyzing data requirements of business processes; (3) Designing and implementing necessary database tables to support application development; (4) Maintaining, supporting, and troubleshooting existing databases; (5) Developing, maintaining, and enforcing database development standards; (6) Driving best practices to guide development teams on database programming.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance this is not the entire list)
1. Understands and translates business needs into data models supporting long-term solutions.
2. Works with the Application Development team to implement data strategies, builds data flows and develops conceptual data models.
3. Creates logical and physical data models using best practices to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy.
4. Optimizes and updates logical and physical data models to support new and existing projects.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. More than 7 years experience as a Database Designer.
2. Demonstrated strong background in Database Design and Database Modeling.
3. Proven analytical skills including problem solving, information gathering, business to IT translation of requirements, use case development and extensive testing execution.
4. Bachelor s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or commensurate experience.
5. Considered an expert in their discipline.
6. Proven experience creating logical entities and defining their attributes as well as defining the relationships between the various data objects.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of data and database concepts.
8. Proven ability to manage/plan multiple tasks on an extended basis and within deliverable time frames.
9. Proficient in SQL.
10. Demonstrated ability to develop staff through training, coaching and counseling, including leading the work of Levels 1-2.
11. Proven ability to work in a team environment.
12. Proven ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
13. Proven ability to pick up and understand new technologies and concepts with little or no help from more senior staff.
14. Demonstrated experience working on projects, training, designing process solutions, and directly interacting with customers.
15. Proven ability to schedule, plan and organize staff in problem solving activities.
16. Proven knowledge of Data warehouse and business intelligence.
17. Demonstrated working knowledge of DB2 in both a z/OS and Linux environment, DDL, SQL, etc.
18. Demonstrated excellent oral/written communication skills.
19. Strong knowledge of the insurance industry.
20. Strong Knowledge of Insurance Application Architecture (IAA) and Insurance Application Warehouse (IAW) is a plus.
21. Valid driver s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.