This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION STATUS: Contract to Hire
POSITION DURATION: 12 months
LOCATION: Canonsburg, PA-Headquarters
# OF OPENINGS: 1
PAY RATE: Negotiable, Based Upon Experience
The Database Developer's role is to strategically design, write, test and implement database application code. This includes researching, designing, documenting, and modifying software specifications throughout the production life cycle. This individual must ensure that high levels of database performance and data integrity are met through applying design best practices, code tuning and monitoring system processes. S/he is also responsible for defining standards and models for development using the database programming languages. Above all, this individual makes certain that the database design and coding solutions meet business objectives and establishes and maintains a high level of user trust and confidence in the database group's knowledge of and concern for the users' business needs. This individual must also demonstrate a willingness to work with and mentor associates of varying levels of technical expertise within the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Provide first-level application support. Resolve problems and answer questions related to the database application code and layered products; contact vendor support when necessary; facilitate application development and customer problem resolution with optimum speed and efficiency.
* Database application performance analysis and tuning. Closely monitor performance; identify problems and implement solutions; ensure the database is running at optimum speed and efficiency.
* Provide database design. Research and recommend optimal schema, table and index design criteria balancing scalability, data integrity and maintainability; publish entity relationship and data flow diagrams, design standards and work with development staff; standardize environment and improve efficiency.
* Perform database development. Develop application code using agreed upon database programming languages, packages, and scripting languages to support application releases; interact with development teams and understand business requirements.
* Support database software upgrades and planning. Ensure database environment is updated with current stable versions of software products; maintain currency with operating system and support software.
* Analyze user requirements for application releases and, based on findings, provide recommendations for solutions and estimates of work.
* Conduct research and make recommendations on database design and development products, new database features, coding techniques and system enhancements.
* Develop utilities for automatically monitoring the database application code performance, security and data integrity.
* Adhere to departmental policies for reporting and managing trouble tickets and change control.
* Establish, administer, and monitor object-level security in the database including the setting of appropriate end-user database access control levels.
* Coordinate and perform in-depth tests for modified and new database processes, and other post-implementation support.
* Communicate database changes, enhancements, and modifications - verbally or through written documentation - to management and team members so that issues and solutions are understood.
* Assist in the development and definition of documentation and standards for the database team.
* Provide direction to and work with application development staff to develop database coding standards and best practices.
* Communicate complex and technical information in a concise and articulate manner.
* Consistently complete tasks within agreed upon target dates.
* Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
* Keep database team apprised of the status of assigned trouble tickets and change requests in preparation for the daily production meetings.
* High school diploma or equivalent
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline preferred; equivalent experience is acceptable
* Oracle Professional Developer certification is preferred
* At least three (3) years' experience in the design, programming, and support of application utilizing Oracle PL/SQL and SQL programming languages in a distributed Unix (Solaris preferred) computing environment
* Experience developing with Microsoft SQL Server's Transact-SQL is preferred
* Thorough understanding of the Oracle database design techniques with attention given to scalability and maintainability
* Thorough understanding of Oracle database application performance tuning, design, security scalability and industry best practices for application development
* Excellent Oracle PL/SQL and SQL coding skills with particular attention given to detail and accuracy
* Excellent Oracle SQL performance tuning and optimization skills
* Extensive experience in SQL performance tuning products and utilities (e.g., TkProf, StatsPack, Oracle Enterprise Manager/Diagnostics, Explain utility, DBMS Trace, Precise, DB Tuner)
* Extensive experience in Oracle PL/SQL debugging tools (e.g., DBMS Debug, DBMS Profiler, DBMS Application Info, PL/SQL Developer Debug tool)
* Experience with Unix scripting languages (e.g., Korn shell, Perl)
* Experience in data extract, migration, queuing, and replication facilities
* Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment; good interpersonal skills
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills; ability to weigh various suggested technical solutions against the original business needs and choose the most cost-effective solution
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
* Keen attention to detail and ability to access impact of design changes prior to implementation
* Highly self-motivated and cooperative attitude
* Strong customer service orientation
* Good communication skills
* Ability to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audiences in a way that establishes rapport and gains understanding
WORKING CONDITIONS: Provide on-call support for database application and layered products as needed.