Datacenter Network Engineer 9/3/2016
Menlo Park, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB TITLE: DATACENTER NETWORK ENGINEER - DIRECT HIRE / FULLTIME / PERM
JOB LOCATION: MENLO PARK, CA
JOB TYPE: FULL TIME / PERM / DIRECT HIRE + BENEFITS
While working in Network Team, our job duties at a very high level are to maintain the fleet of network devices. Maintaining the fleet requires to monitor, react, respond, troubleshoot, and fix to alerts, alarms, and issues of various network devices including but not limited to, Cisco, Juniper,
Arista, HP, Force10 switches and routers. With the huge number of devices in data centers, over time fans, power supplies, optics, cables and sometimes whole devices fail. During our time with
Network DC Team it is our job to identify what pieces and parts have failed, and then fix or re-place those parts to ensure the network devices run optimally and redundantly.
Another piece of maintaining the fleet is troubleshooting links between network devices. Many types of errors can occur on a link and it's our job to identify if there is an issue, then troubleshoot the issue to find the root cause, fix the issue, document what we've fixed, and make sure asset databases are updated.
BELOW IS A LIST OF ITEMS THAT WE MAY FIND OURSELVES DOING FROM DAY TO DAY:
* Physically troubleshoot various network components on network infrastructure includingrouters, switches, console servers and optical transport equipment, troubleshooting protocols like BGP, OSPF, ISIS etc
* Provide onsite network support and expertise for all teams on the local data center. Liaison for remote networking teams.
* Verify capacity, draining traffic, suppressing alarms before replacing; optics, line cards, sup cards.
* Troubleshooting network link/device/configuration issues, isolating the problem, fixing the problem.
* Creating new RMA requests through OEM vendors for both replacement devices, as well as obtaining technical assistance when troubleshooting devices.
* Tracking, maintaining and updating asset inventory of defective and replacement parts.
* Troubleshoot, tracing , looping links to locate the physical issue.
* Tracing and isolating cables through patch panels.
* Testing and cleaning fiber optic cables, and optical interfaces.
* Schedule and perform network maintenance, repair, and upgrade tasks as needed while limit-
* ing the impact on the production network
* Use internalsoftware, tools, and scripts to configure, monitor, and repair network equipment
* Working with other teams such as facilities and DC Ops to enlist their assistance with items such as power and rack draining.
* Perform queue management for alarms, tasks, and incidents and participate in ongoing de-ployment projects
* There is a significant amount of lifting, walking, pushing carts, carrying heavy devices, and climbing ladders involved. We will also be using power tools for various tasks.
* Strong working knowledge of Linux OS, CLI navigation, Cisco IOS, Juniper OS and bash.
* Auditing switch locations, first locating switch in data center environment by following Build-ing, Suit,Row,Column, and Rack position. Updating the database with all changes and ran- domly cross referencing for troubleshooting.
SKILLS MUST HAVE:
* Cisco, Juniper professional certifications like - CCIE, CCNP, JNCIS/ JNCIP
* 8+ years' of hands-on work experience in networks device physical installation, configuration and support.
* Extensive experience with Cisco Nexus 7K, 5K devices. Cisco ASR devices, Chassis based Switches like 6500, Juniper Enterprise and Service Provider network hardware platforms like modular based MX series, PTX series and architectures including data center switching plat-forms.
* Strong working and troubleshooting knowledge of routing protocols like - OSPF, BGP
* Good working experience with switching technologies/ concepts - like STP, VLANs, VTP
* Good hands on experience on the load balancing concepts like - LACP, PAgP etc.
* Hands on experience with Python scripting for network management (execution and modifi-cation).
* Fair knowledge in working with telecom carriers, link issue resolution, telecom circuit provi-sioning/ issue fixing.
* Understanding, troubleshooting skills and resolution skills on the optical network infrastruc-ture devices, fiber cables, Optical interfaces (SFPs/ CFPs),
* Working with principal vendors like Cisco/ Juniper TAC for RMA (hardware replacement)
* Positive attitude and efficient team player.
* Good communication skills
* Working knowledge on MPLS concepts.
* Understanding the Metro Ethernet concepts and associated Fiber DWDM equipment like Cyan, Ciena, Infinera etc.
* Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and utilize troubleshooting skills, systems and tools, and creative problem solving abilities under pressure
* Working knowledge of Linux OS and CLI navigation
* Working knowledge on using software related tools like - Putty, WinScp, Filezilla
* Strong documentation, written and presentation skills.