Deputy Communications Officer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONDEPUTY COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
The New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) seeks a Deputy Communications Officer who will directly assist the Chief Communications Officer (CCO) in every facet of internal and external communications for the organization. He/she will work directly with the CCO and executive team to develop overall strategic communication plans for the Authority which will drive all interactions to NYCHA's residents, employees, elected officials, media, and other NYCHA stakeholders.
The Deputy Communications Officer will be responsible for managing a team which proactively handles media outreach and response on behalf of NYCHA, using multiple communications channels. He/she will represent the organization's work and its key messages to the media and will work with senior leadership to meet marketing and branding needs and develop opportunities that position the organization positively to a variety of stakeholders. He/she must be able to understand all aspects of NYCHA's work and be current on the rapidly changing nature of communications tools. The ideal candidate will be a strong writer who can synthesize complex information into simple, compelling messages, which resonate with NYCHA's audiences.
The candidate should be familiar with traditional and social media; previous public relations, branding or marketing work in a news-driven environment is preferred. The Deputy Communications Officer will operate in a fast paced environment, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality, often under deadlines or high-pressure situations. A high energy, positive, "can do" attitude is a must.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
* Lead a staff of media relations professionals.
* Oversee the timely and accurate communication and public information concerning NYCHA programs, projects, events, initiatives and issues to the media and the public using print and electronic communication tools to a diverse audience of stakeholders.
* Write and edit media advisories, press releases, statements, letters to the editor, articles for print and web based publications, remarks, marketing materials, testimony, etc. Prepare media releases on NYCHA's housing programs, initiatives and activities, reports, and similar information.
* Oversee a team which serves as liaison with the news media including serving as a spokesperson; serve "on-call" regularly, including weekends during NYCHA emergency operations; monitor news media daily.
* Manage crisis communications; develop and implement specific activities to ensure placement of positive news stories highlighting agency achievements and initiatives.
* Manage the research, development and pitching of positive stories to media about agency initiatives with local, community, ethic and national media outlets.
* Plan and coordinate media related events.
* Advise on messaging, content, and creative for campaign initiatives.
* Interact on NYCHA's behalf with other government agencies and elected officials.
* Manage the formulation of responses to email and telephone inquiries.
* Prepare and finalize draft correspondence, memos and briefing materials for executive and management staff approval.
* Prepare agency officials for interviews for both press and media.
* Provide guidance and make recommendations on media strategies to executive and media staff.
* Track and oversee media metrics for NYCHA.
* Handle special projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
* A Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations, plus five (5) years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism or advertising, including two (2) years in an administrative, supervisory or consultative capacity; or
* A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" above. Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations may be substituted for up to one year of required experience. However, all candidates must have at least two (2) years of administrative, supervisory, or consultative experience in public relations, journalism or advertising.
* Excellent Communicator - ability to communicate expertly and clearly, both written and verbal; to think on one's feet with a calm and pleasant demeanor; to artfully influence and persuade, and to render diplomatic approaches while remaining focused on the agency's goals and priorities.
* Excellent verbal, writing and editing skills; excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated record as a self-starter and team-player.
* Extensive experience in communications, preferably for a busy, active government agency. Strong knowledge of public policy.
* Keen understanding of marketing needs to a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
* Fluency in software applications such as Word and PowerPoint.
* Experience in media outreach and communications management experience.
* Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with associates and the public. Excellent detail-orientation and follow-up skills and ability to meet deadlines.
* Experience with proofing remarks and other related copywriting tools.
* Ability to assimilate and analyze data.
* Ability to apply Associated Press guides.
* Flexibility, ability to lead a team, attention to detail, and solid judgment are essential attributes.
* Ability to work independently.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
_THE NEW YORK CITY HOUSING AUTHORITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER_