Deputy Director - National Air And Space Museum 8/31/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY DUTY LOCATION
Full-Time, Permanent Trust appointment; Not a Federal position
$123,175.00 - $185,100.00 / Per Year
SERIES & GRADE
The Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum (NASM) invites applications for the position of Deputy Director serving the museum and its mission to "_Commemorate, Educate and Inspire_". The National Air and Space Museum collects, preserves, studies and exhibits artifacts, archival materials and works of art related to the history, culture and science of aviation and spaceflight and the study of the universe. Its research and outreach activities serve all audiences, within and beyond its walls. The Museum commemorates the past and is committed to educating and inspiring people to foster appreciation for the importance of flight to humanity.
NASM provides access to the nation's aviation and space flight history to an average of 7-9 million on-site visitors from around the world each year, making it one of the most visited museums in the world. In addition, NASM draws tens of millions of virtual visitors to its website and broadcast and webcast educational programming
Reporting to the National Air and Space Director, the Deputy Director will have both internal and external responsibilities, ranging from business decisions, care of collections, scholarly and scientific research, exhibitions, education and public programing, administration (technology, facilities) and human capital (Strategic Workforce Planning). The Deputy Director will partner closely with the NASM Director to chart NASM future growth and respond to an every-increasing demand as we Revitalize/Transform NASM over the next several years.
The Deputy Director serves as an alter ego to the Director, with delegated authority and responsibility for fully sharing with the Director the direction and management of all aspects of the NASM's programs and activities.
Qualified applicants will successfully demonstrate:
* A minimum of 15years of experience in progressively responsible leadership positions with management/operations expertise in a nonprofit organization, foundation, private corporation, museum, or government agency
* Demonstrated experience in developing a need for change, creating a sense of urgency, outlining a strategy, overseeing a guiding coalition, removing barriers and monitoring and measuring success in order to sustain organizational change.
* Demonstrated experience in leading a major project that significantly changed the way an organization either housed staffing, managed work processes or managed their systems. Proven record of meeting schedules and cost
* Demonstrated fundraising experience with a proven track record of having built relationships with philanthropists and/or corporations and foundations and asking for and securing support. Demonstrated strategic cultivation with matching a donor's passion with a specific need within the organization resulting in funding for a program.
* 15+ years demonstrated building of broad alliances and strong affiliations with businesses and professional groups within the aerospace community. A recognized member of the community based on professional work history
* Advanced/MBA degree from a recognized university (desirable)
* Proven leadership with a track record in delivering superior results, commanding respect and assuming leadership roles
* Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities and leading multiple and diverse staffs
* Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and good humor while driving results
* Ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people from diverse backgrounds
* Operates with excellence in mind in all matters with the confidence to defend/debate ideas
* Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
* Capability as a self-starter, self-disciplined, creative problem-solver
* Focus in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.