Design Engineer II 8/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION SUMMARY (WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE POSITION)
This position is responsible for the development and release of the wire harness design and prints. This position will be responsible for design and development for build to print programs and design responsible programs. This role includes establishing feasible design development activity timelines and advanced delivery of harness prints to manufacturing. This also requires timely print delivery to the customer for official drawing release. This position is responsible for design leadership and coordination with Customer Engineering, , Purchasing, and Manufacturing organizations.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Work with the customer engineering organization to ensure receipt of required design input and/or prints from the customer.
2. Establish and manage effective design development timelines with the customer. This involves appropriating feasible lead times for build activity, print creation, and BOM generation activities.
3. Effectively managing design freeze dates with the customer.
4. Working with the FAA CAD group to ensure accurate 3D development of the harness design.
5. Confirming the completed print and 3D model match each other, and match the customer design intent.
6. Coordination with FAMX to ensure timely build and delivery of parts, and communication with customer engineering on delivery status.
7. Travel to customer facilities as needed to support design activities and build events.
8. Travel to the manufacturing plant to support key build events - sign off on master samples, support design for manufacturability activity, confirm build to customer design intent.
9. Submission of Bills of Material (BOMs) and required engineering design detail to Sales for quoting activity.
SPECIFIC JOB DELIVERABLES
* Accurate wire harness print reflecting customer engineering direction.
* Accurate Bills of Material for FAA Sales quotation and FAMX procurement/build activity
* Understanding of the wire harness design development process from concept to mass production
* Effective presentation skills
* In depth product knowledge of the wire harness assembly and components
* Basic understanding of the wire harness manufacturing process
* Strong analytical and communication (written and verbal) skills
* Strong interpersonal skills - ability to work well in functionally and culturally diverse groups.
* Proven ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and work constructively in a team environment
* Component development experience highly preferred - specifically concerning routing retention features, troughs, brackets, grommets.
* A valid passport is required.
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical engineering from an accredited university or equivalent industry experience is required.
* Six Sigma training preferred
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
THIS POSITION REPORTS TO THE ENGINEERING MANAGER
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS (who are the customers and suppliers for this position)
Customers: Customer Engineering, Sales, Manufacturing
Suppliers: Component suppliers for any parts that might be used by to complete wire harness design.