Director - Government and External Affairs
WNET - New York, NYThis job is no longer active. View similar jobs
- WNET WNET
- New York, NY
- Job Type
- Job Classification
- Full Time
- Mid-Career (2 - 15 years)
- Bachelors Degree
- Company Ref #
- AJE Ref #
- [+] More
Director, Government and External Affairs
WNET, home of THIRTEEN, WLIW21, Creative News Group, and PMNJ, is the flagship public television broadcaster in the New York City tri-state area and the most-watched public television channel in the nation. Through our on-air and online assets, we reach millions of people with programming that celebrates arts and culture, offers insightful commentary on the news of the day, explores the worlds of science and nature, and invites students of all ages to have fun while learning.
The Director, Government and External Affairs is responsible for directing policies and objectives involving local, state and federal government affairs, leading legislative actions and determining the potential impact on the stations. In addition, the Director will monitor legislation and regulatory activities, prepare appropriate materials and brief key staff in the NY-NJ-CT Congressional and Senatorial delegations including meeting with key officials and their staffs as necessary. Additional responsibilities include:
• Develop strategy for responding to any governmental issues impacting the stations and coordinate among departments the stations’ response;
• Develop and implement advocacy strategy for annual operating aid from New York State, working with APBS and retained NYS lobbyist consultant.
• Develop and implement advocacy strategy for annual federal funding, working with APTS and with such internal resources as Friends of THIRTEEN, members of various Boards of the stations, volunteers and staff.
• Identify and pursue funding opportunities outside regular appropriations – i.e., grant opportunities with CPB, through the NYC Council working with retained NYC lobbyist, NYS Legislature or other city or state elected officials, including preparing and coordinating grant submissions, follow up, stewarding funding and reporting to completion.
• Oversee the preparation of materials and presentations for members of Congress and their staffs, members of the NYS Legislature and staff, and other elected officials in NYC and potentially, in New Jersey.
• Manage relationships with cable and satellite TV providers in the NY DMA on behalf of the stations.
• Monitor stations compliance with regulations of CPB, FCC or any funding sources with which the department is directly involved.
To qualify, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience, and at least 10 years’ experience in the field. A law degree or graduate degree in public affairs (or similar) is preferred. Strong organizational and communication skills are required as is the ability to use diplomacy and tact. Previous work experience in a staff position with elected or appointed government official most helpful as is familiarity with public media or the not-for-profit world, as well as the field’s concepts, practices and procedures. The successful candidate will be expected to rely on his or her extensive experience in the field and judgment to plan and accomplish goals and tasks.
For immediate consideration, apply online at: http://www.wnet.org/careers/ or fax resume to 212.560.1350.
WNET New York Public Media
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019
When applying via e-mail, please include the position title in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please.
WNET is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Benefits
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Sick Leave
- Vision Insurance