Director - Law Practice Operations 9/17/2016
New York, NY
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
Leads and directs operations and legal support activities for Claim Legal, ensuring effective delivery of service to business partners, customers and clients. Establishes support and administrative operations for national law organization including consistency in documentation, process, preparation and utilization of electronic matter management systems. Creates, curates and maintains organizational guidelines and directives, internal and external business/marketing presentations and training materials. Implements and oversees non-technical, new hire onboarding process including management of all technology licensing and subscription services. Analyzes data for effective utilization of all technology platforms and expense management consistent with CNA strategy. Collaborates with leadership to direct and coordinate with managers of other teams to assure strategic, operational and developmental goals of the functional area are met. Responsible for operational projects within the Claim Legal organization, ensuring they are appropriately prioritized and resourced.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Oversees the work activities and has accountability for the development of Law Office Managers/Supervisors in accordance with Claim Legal strategic direction.
2. Establishes and maintains strong collaborative relationships with internal and external customers. Assists subordinate supervisors in resolving high visibility problem cases or issues, acting with a sense of urgency and taking accountability for resolution.
3. Utilizes TeamConnect and other legal analysis and/or technical resources to develop new tools and reports to aid in data collection, analysis and strategic planning to achieve superior results. Coaches others in the use of metrics-based decision making.
4. Responsible for staying up to date on support operations trends and developments within litigation defense law firm environments as well as the insurance industry. Anticipates industry changes and offers innovative solutions. Leads and monitors on shoring/off shoring and innovative approaches in law firm environments to develop opportunities in providing support or creating self-sufficiency amongst the members of the Staff Counsel organization.
5. Sets appropriate stretch goals that drive desired behaviors. Ensures operating plan implementation is consistent with department/corporate goals, policies, quality assurance and growth objectives. Ensures customer satisfaction, quality and financial results are met.
6. Identifies cross-organizational barriers that impact multiple projects or programs, surfacing issues and risks in a timely manner, and partnering across the company to ensuring the issues and risks are resolved collaboratively.
7. Ensures that the operations roles, responsibilities, and expected deliverables and outcomes are defined, understood and acted upon.
8. Works with Claim Legal leadership and Managing Trial Attorneys to consistently implement project outcomes.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Strong knowledge of the insurance industry and in depth knowledge Claim Legal/Staff Counsel support function operations, policies and procedures. Stays informed on relevant industry legal support changes and requirements.
2. Proven ability to effectively lead and motivate others in accomplishing established goals, builds a competitive organization by attracting, managing, developing and retaining the talent needed to win.
3. Strong strategic orientation and business planning skills with the ability to develop clear business plans aligned with business strategy.
4. Excellent knowledge of and ability to use TeamConnect effectively.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
6. Good project management skills
7. Excellent organizing and planning skills.
8. Strong communication and presentation skills both verbal and written.
9. Ability to travel to Staff field locations.
10. Ability to execute strategy and implement innovative solutions to support the administrative requirements of the organization.
1. Ability to implement systems, processes and procedures that improve the operation of the offices and the client experience.
2. Ability to train others and create sustainability and consistency across the organization.
3. Uses Metrics and information analysis and accesses technology resources as needed.
4. Value driven to provide superior solutions to internal and/or external customers.
15. Acts with a sense of urgency to advance priorities of the organization.
16. Helps other to excel through collaboration and building strong relationships.
17. Thinks creatively and uses diverse ideas to solve problems.
18. Raises expectations of self and others by continuously learning and broadening industry and technical skills.
19. Experience defining and implementing process changes.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
2. Typically a minimum of 10 years of experience providing administrative/legal secretary support in a law office environment, including at least
5 years of management experience.
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Other Locations: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Organization: CLAIM-Law Claim Legal
Job Posting: Sep 16, 2016
Unposting Date: Ongoing.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.