Director, Nutrition Services - Nutrition IP Adult ML-(MGR)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/2/2016
END DATE 12/30/2016
University of California - San Francisco Medical Centers
San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Title
Director, Nutrition Services - Nutrition IP Adult ML-(MGR)
40 ; 100%
Nutrition-IP Adult ML
This classification is not represented by a union
Our legacy of unsurpassed patient care and unceasing mission to integrate high-tech medical research with clinical operations has led to our prestigious standing as one of the top 10 hospitals in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report. As a premier health care institution dedicated to advancing health worldwide, UCSF Medical Center can also be the best place to advance and shape your career.
The medical center's employees are one of the most important reasons why we are recognized as one of the nation's best hospitals. To work at UCSF Medical Center is to be part of an institution that provides the highest caliber of care to patients; a nurturing, dynamic and team-oriented atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
The Department of Nutrition & Food Services has two major divisions: nutrition services and food services.
The Department provides professional nutrition services and food to patients in the hospitals and clinics at Parnassus and Mount Zion sites. It is also operates a retail cafeteria at Parnassus and provides a full range of catering services to the Medical Center, Mount Zion, Mission Bay, campus, and the surrounding community.
Directs nutrition services for all units of the nutrition division (adult and pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient). This includes evaluating needs for service, working with others to develop programs to meet these needs, implementing, evaluating, and altering programs when needed. Scope of responsibility includes inpatient clinical nutrition services at UCSF hospital sites (UCSF Medical Center Parnassus Heights, UCSF Hospitals at Mission Bay (UCSF Benioff Children s Hospital, San Francisco, UCSF Betty Irene Moore Women s Hospital and UCSF Bakar Cancer Hospital) and Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital and Clinics) and responsibility for systems and RD staff in Nutrition Counseling Clinic (Mount Zion and Lakeshore), adult specialty clinics at Parnassus,Mount Zion and Mission Bay, and pediatric specialty clinics at Mission Bay, Parnassus and satellite locations (Pleasanton, Marin, Santa Rosa and San Mateo). The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
* Develops and implements clinical nutrition standards of practice, policies and procedures and evaluation strategies to assure that patient nutrition needs are met in compliance with relevant guidelines and standards
* Oversees and directs development of nutrition education resources.
* Works with members within the department's divisions (nutrition & food service) and with members of other departments to solve problems and assure that appropriate nutrition services are integrated with the medical plan of care and documented.
* Assures that division is in compliance with accreditation and licensing standards such as The Joint Commission (TJC), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and California Title 22
* Responsible for maintaining an approved diet manual, nutrient analysis of the patient menu, adult and pediatric enteral product formularies, diet order communication, documentation of nutrition care and acting as a liaison between NFS, nursing and providers.
* Actively participates and promotes nutrition on other institution and organization committees and directs the Nutrition subcommittee which reports to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee.
* Collaborates with Department Director to develop division budget, productivity measurements, and other fiscal controls.
* Manages labor and non-labor costs within budgetary constraints and finds ways to improve service without using additional resources.
* When additional resources and services are requested and/or needed, prepares and presents objective justification to support need.
* Assesses and provides input on financial systems utilized in the ambulatory areas as they relate to Nutrition Counseling Clinic and other clinics were dietitians work .
* Develops and justifies staffing patterns to meet program needs.
* Develops career series, job descriptions, recruitment programs, and appropriate compensation packages for employees in collaboration with Department Director and Human Resources.
* Develops policies and standards for selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of employees that will assure provision of high-level nutrition services and standards
* Selects, orients, assigns, evaluates, commends, and disciplines employees for which responsible, based on direct observation, feedback from supervisors, peers and other medical center staff, and objective performance criteria.
* Mentors employees; develops, coordinates, supports continuing education programs and career development for clinical nutrition staff. Finds ways to promote upward mobility among staff members.
* Mentors and encourages employees in creative activities including projects and professional writing for poster sessions and publication.
* Trains, manages, disciplines and evaluates the performance of supervisors based on job requirements; assists supervisors with implementation and application of HR policies and procedures.
* Consults with staff about complex nutrition issues.
* Acts as a liaison between food services and nutrition services and provides input to patient food services programs and activities.
* Promotes the role of nutrition within the organization and the university.
* Works with other department leaders to integrate nutrition services with other programs/activities to meet the goals of the overall institution.
* Actively collaborates and consults with clinical nutrition leaders at other UC Medical Centers and other facilities.
* Establishes policies and procedures for effective management of the dietetic internship to ensure fair and equitable treatment of prospective and enrolled interns
* Manages intern recruitment, advising, evaluation and counseling
* Maintains program accreditation including timely submission of fees, reports and requests for major program changes
* Maintains intern records, including application materials, evaluations, advisement plans and verification statements
* Maintains a system for a permanent archive of verification statements.
* Manages the complaint process and record keeping in accordance with established UCSF procedures and Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) requirements.
* Establishes internship curriculum in compliance with ACEND standards, performs on-going curriculum review to meet accreditation standards.
* Establishes processes for continuous assessment of program and learning outcomes
* Works collaboratively with NFS department leadership to insure that the dietetic internship is integrated with operations of the department.
* Collaborates with NFS Department Director to evaluate and justify the cost of internship program in relation to its contributions.
* Communicates and collaborates with NFS staff regarding their responsibilities for teaching in the dietetic internship and other teaching programs.
* Maintains communication with outside preceptors regarding the dietetic internship including MOUs for preceptors.
* Teaches classes for dietetic interns.