Director - Patient Safety (Risk Management)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 8/1/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Code: 00417-69870
WEST HOUSTON MEDICAL CENTER HOUSTON, TX
DIRECTOR - PATIENT SAFETY (RISK MANAGEMENT)
WEST HOUSTON MEDICAL CENTER has been offering exceptional care to the West Houston community for 30 years. With more than 1,200 members on our care team and 400 of the region's most talented doctors, we are able to provide nationally-recognized quality care.
Our hospital provides a wide range of services, several of which are nationally accredited or affiliated:
* Bariatric/Weight Loss Surgery
* Breast Center
* Cancer Treatment
* Cardiovascular Center
* Diabetes Management
* Ear, Nose and Throat
* Emergency Medicine
* Senior Care
* Sleep Disorder Center
* Women's Services
* Wound Healing
WEST HOUSTON MEDICAL CENTER is currently looking for a
DIRECTOR - PATIENT SAFETY (RISK MANAGEMENT).
* Prevent future harm by initiating and overseeing proactive evaluation and redesign of systems to improve care processes (e.g. forcing functions, checklists, error causation thinking, human factors, applied informatics, culture).
* Support improved outcomes by emphasizing both appropriate behaviors and robust systems that include concise accountability measures and follow-up.
* Improve consistent delivery of evidence-based care and reduction in preventable harm by focusing on reliability and applying the principles of reliable design.
* Reduce variation in care delivery. Partner with the Patient Safety Organization to explore identified variations when appropriate.
* Utilize alerts and best practices (e.g. Sentinel Event Alerts) to perform gap assessments and implement strong actions that will alleviate identified gaps.
* Effectively report, investigate, and analyze patient safety incidents, medical errors and potential risks in the facility.
* Facilitate thorough and credible serious event analysis that result in strong sustainable improvement strategies.
* Facilitate thorough and credible failure mode effect analysis to identify and mitigate unintended adverse patient outcomes and evaluate effectiveness of process changes.
* Perform Patient Safety Rounds that identify patient safety risks. Empower staff to identify and participate in resolution of patient safety concerns.
* Coordinate disclosure of serious events to patients and/or families in accordance with organizational policy and regulations.
* Assure timely reporting of Patient Safety Work Product (PSWP) to the Patient Safety Organization.
* Actively participate in PSO learning collaboratives. Ensure implementation of best practices, alerts, and updates to drive patient safety improvement.
* Champion completion of Culture of Safety Survey.
* Facilitate analysis of culture of safety survey results such that data-driven action plans lead to targeted outcomes.
* Support and encourage harm reporting throughout the organization through a nonpunitive just event reporting system.
* Provide feedback that acknowledges both the value of event reporting and review of reported events.
* Facilitate thorough and credible review of events that address both system and individual accountability.
* Include patient safety in new hire orientation presentation (e.g. PSO membership, reporting expectations, safety culture)
* Provide ongoing education to leaders, clinicians and staff on the science of safety (high reliability, effective communication, sustaining awareness/alertness) and patient safety initiatives.
* Work with facility leaders and managers to ensure thorough, credible and timely event management.
* Join with facility leaders to identify and hardwire behavioral norms (e.g. use of briefs, debriefs, NPSGs) that promote a culture of safety.
* Work with facility leaders to ensure understanding of and compliance with the National Patient Safety Goals.
* Partner with facility leadership to establish activities that enable and sustain an open and fair environment promoting learning, safe systems, and appropriately managing behavioral choices related to patient safety (e.g. Patient Safety Rounds, Event Response, Disclosure).
* Partner with Quality to complete the NQF Safe Practices section of the Leapfrog Hospital Survey.
* Engage patients/families when appropriate in the patient safety program.
* Seek input from patients/families involved in harm or close call events as appropriate.
* Oversee the management and use of event information to benchmark and track progress to zero avoidable harm.
* Provide analysis and identifying trends from reports (e.g. PSIP data, SHARP report, Service Line Dashboards) to track progress of improvement strategies. Spread and sustain improvement.
* Present informative and actionable patient safety reports to appropriate committees to include high level presentations to Leadership, Medical Executive Committee and Board of Trustees. Include the patient s story of harm
* Work with defense legal counsel to coordinate the investigation, processing and defense of claims against the facility; records, collects, documents, maintains, and provides to defense attorneys any requested information and documents necessary manage facility claims while maintaining privilege of PSWP
* Notify HCI of all actual and potential claims
* Work with security on procedures to reduce the frequency and/or minimize the severity of property loss or assets
* Contract Review
* Manage non-HCI cases: accept/process subpoenas, visitor events, property loss or theft, etc.
* Bachelor s Degree in Healthcare related field required. Master's Degree preferred
* Certification in Patient Safety (CPPS) required; If not already CPPS, must obtain certification within first year of hire.
* TeamSTEPPS Master Trainer required; If not already a Master Trainer, must obtain certification within 12 months of hire.
* Clinical background required.
* Minimum three years healthcare experience in patient safety, risk, and/or quality preferred. Healthcare experience should be recent and within a clinical setting such as Hospital, Ambulatory Surgery Center, etc.
* Demonstrates good organizational skills; tendency to be organized, planful and structured
* Knowledge of patient safety science principles, theory, methods, standards and regulatory requirements
* Superior interpersonal skills (developing and maintaining positive relationships; communicating clearly and effectively with people at all levels with verbal and nonverbal communication; working with others to identify, define and solve problems)
* Strong leadership qualities (task completion, motivation, organization)
* Knowledge of and experience with patient safety analysis techniques (methods) Proven team building skills in dealing with intra-professional clinical and operations teams including medical staff in diverse settings
* Advanced computer skills with word processing and database competency.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to deliver educational and informational presentations on clinical and/or patient safety topics.
* Ability to inspire others to believe in the culture of patient safety. Effective change agent.
* Information management skills including flowcharting, data analysis and report preparation.
* Knowledge of rapid cycle improvement theory
Last Edited: 12/02/2016