Director, Scientific Awards Programs
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/9/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
New York Academy of Sciences
New York, NY
The New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS)
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization committed to advancing science and technology since 1817. With over 20, members in 100 countries, the Academy has one of the world's most elite networks of experts and partner organizations. Its President's Council includes 27 Nobel Laureates, as well as CEOs, philanthropists, and leaders of national science funding agencies. It participates in alliances with over 40 universities and academic medical centers, as well as scores of multinational companies and NGOs. The Academy uses these networks to catalyze path-breaking initiatives for scientific, social, and economic benefit, both locally, in New York, and globally, in developed economies and emerging markets. The Academy employs about 100 professional and support staff and has an annual operating budget of over $20 million.
The BLAVATNIK AWARDS FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS is a landmark national award for young scientists 42years of age or younger. Established in 2007, the program recognizes early-career scientists who have made innovative advances in the life sciences, physical sciences and engineering, and chemistry. The awards are managed by the NYAS and funded by the Blavatnik Family Foundation, an active supporter of numerous leading educational, scientific, and cultural institutions throughout the United States and the world. The Blavatnik Family Foundation was founded by Len Blavatnik, an American industrialist and chairman of Access Industries--a privately-held, global industrial group.
Until 2013, the Blavatnik Awards were limited to young scientists in the New York Tri-State area. However, due to the tremendous importance and success of the program, the Academy, with the support of the Blavatnik Family Foundation, expanded the geographical coverage of the awards to include scientists nationally from across all of the United States.
The Academy is seeking an entrepreneurial and dynamic director to lead the continuing growth of this program at the Academy. Working closely with the Chief Scientific Officer of Scientific Programs and Blavatnik Awards, he/she will oversee the continued development and implementation of the regional and U.S. programs, while seeking opportunities to expand the concept to awards programs globally.
The director will manage a department of five full-time professionals, including three Ph.D. scientists representing the scientific disciplines in which the awards are made. He/she will report to the Academy's Chief Scientific Officer of Scientific Programs and Blavatnik Awards.
The specific responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
* Develop an extensive understanding of the Academy, its mission, strategy and programs.
* In collaboration with the Blavatnik Family Foundation, continue to implement and expand the national and regional programs, including branding and communication, application, judging and selection, and presentation of the awards.
* Develop relationships with the leaders and stakeholders of prestigious national academic and research institutions; gain commitment for the program, resulting in a high level of award applications from a large geographic base.
* Support the Chief Scientific Officer in maintaining relationships with program sponsors and working closely with their representatives to secure sustaining support for current programs and additional funding for new initiatives.
* Establish strong working relationships with other departments at the Academy and develop a level of support and enthusiasm for the program throughout the NYAS.
* Continue to research best practices and develop the policies and procedures that guide the application, evaluation, and selection process with unquestionable objectivity and fairness.
* Lead the identification and recruitment of judges; nurture the relationship with the Scientific Advisory Panel; and oversee the nominations and consecutive rounds of selection.
* Work with the Academy's operations team and outside event-planning firm to develop and execute the regional and national awards ceremonies and otherevents.
* Manage the department budget; provide timely forecasts and all financial and programmatic reporting, as necessary
* Supervise five full-time employees; recruit and train additional staff, as needed.
* Ph.D. in one of the following disciplinary areas:
* Medicine and Biology
* Physical Sciences and Engineering
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
* 4-7years of relevant experience in academia, industry, scientific publishing, or government.
* Experience in a nonprofit organization is highly desirable.
* Proven leadership skills and experience managing scientific staff through well-established performance management skills; proven success in developing a high-performance work environment and culture.
* Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills; demonstrated success at cultivating strong associations with influential leaders of science, academia and business.
* Proven negotiation and facilitation skills; comfortable interacting with scientists, researchers, and other Academy stakeholders; demonstrable ability to facilitate high-pressure collaborations between leading scientists.
* Proficient and comfortable in dealing with complex, scientific information outside own area of expertise.
* Financially savvy: understands budgets, goals, and the ROI of programs; able to quickly grasp financial and programmatic concepts and package them into fundable programs.
* Proven sponsor-stewardship skills; track record of building excellent working relationships with sponsors and their representatives, providing them with continuous updates, and demonstrating the value they are receiving for their investment.
* Demonstrated marketing acumen; experience managing a communications platform to brand and market a program/product effectively in a scientific field; expertise in gaining publicity through articles and press in prestigious publications.
* Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate and influence a variety of people and audiences. Experience writing compelling proposals and making effective presentations to a variety of audiences. _(Writing/presentation samples will be required.)_
* Experience planning and executing large-scale, major events for high-profile audiences.
* Outstanding project management skills, focused on delivering high-quality work on a timely and cost-effective basis.
* Excellent analytical and process skills; capable of synthesizing complex data and making sound recommendations based on rational thinking.
* Smart and insightful, politically astute; innovative and creative; thinks "out-of-the box."
* Unquestionable personal integrity; exudes credibility and professionalism; highly charismatic and makes a positive first impression; quickly builds confidence in others; team player who understands his/her role in relationship to others.
The position offers a very competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit package.