Director Surgical Services - North Florida Regional Medical Center - Gainesville, FL 8/24/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Code: 00039-10460
POSITION SUMMARY: (brief summary statement of major functions)
Responsible for providing leadership and managing the operational activities of the department. Formulates capital and operating budgets. Sets goals and communicates quality and safety information to staff. Performs the duties of a staff RN as needed, and has achieved competency in all those functions.
1. Maintains current knowledge of health care trends as well as nursing and surgical practice
2. Oversees the operations of the main surgical suites, PACU, Anesthesia, Endoscopy, Sterile Processing, Pre/Post Op Surgery, Women s Center OR and related areas.
Provides patient/family education as per department and hospital policy and procedure.
1. Assists with patient/family/significant other s learning needs, abilities and readiness to learn. Identifies barriers to learning, such as language or culture. Integrates this information into the patient s plan of care.
2. Identifies and documents patient/family/SO s education needs in collaboration with other disciplines and implements an on-going education relevant to these needs.
3. Explains tests, procedures, disease processes, medications and equipment to patient and family throughout the course of treatment.
4. Documents patient teaching on appropriate teaching tool for each teaching episode.
5. Provides teaching material as needed (pamphlets, video tapes, etc.) to enhance patient teaching.
6. Collaborates with other health care providers in developing a teaching plan for patient.
7. Ensures patient/family/SO understand discharge instructions.
Insure the application of Customer Service principles in meeting and exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers to provide satisfaction.
1. Monitors staff interpersonal transactions to insure application of customer service practices.
2. Reviews customer service precepts with staff as needed.
3. Recognizes individuals for practicing outstanding customer service.
4. Provides necessary materials to enable employees to function at peak performance in providing customer service
Manage fiscal operation of department using the budget as a guideline for revenue and expense analysis.
1. Develops new processes or services that includes, when appropriate, business and financial justification.
2. Concurrently analyzes department statistics on an ongoing basis to determine potential variances and make adjustments where necessary.
3. Identifies savings opportunities or revenue enhancements that add value to departmental or facility processes.
4. Adheres to and enforces accounts payable policies.
5. Utilizes operation reports to manage departments.
6. Prepares operational and capital budgets with minimal supervision.
7. Keeps operational expense growth within hospital budgetary parameters.
Utilizes proper Human Resource guidelines in the selection, training and ongoing performance management of staff. Ensures appropriate facility staffing levels based on customer needs.
1. Leads by example and inspires employees to highest potential.
2. Utilizes information gathered at staff meetings to develop action plans for process improvement.
3. Implements improvement in productivity without decreasing quality of customer service.
4. Develops programs to broaden employee knowledge and skill level and takes advantage of cross-training opportunities within the department.
5. Maintains sufficient qualified and competent staff to provide care or service
6. Determines the qualifications and competence of department personnel who provide patient care or administrative services.
7. Consults with Human Resources prior to implementing disciplinary action or terminating an employee. Discipline is applied on a consistent and timely basis with complete documentation.
8. Provides comprehensive department and job-specific orientation, in-service training and continuous education for all employees and maintains appropriate documentation.
9. Consistently applies Human Resource policies and procedures. Specific attention is paid to attendance, tardiness and image guidelines.
10. Ensures successful timely implementation of Performance Evaluation process including Planning, feedback, coaching, progress review and appraisal.
11. Holds regular staff meetings, makes minutes of meetings available to Senior Manager, and communicates pertinent information to staff not in attendance.
INTERGRATION AND COORDINATION OF SERVICES:
Maintains collaborative/cooperative relationships with others in the organization by sharing meaningful information, soliciting feedback and exhibiting respect and support. Integrates department s services with the hospital s primary function.
1. Is proactive in developing a network between and within departments.
2. Collaborates with internal customers prior to implementing department changes impacting those customers. Gets feedback once change has been implemented.
3. Is proactive in exchanging feedback/recognition with peer group and administrative team.
4. Attends/actively participates in Department Head, Task Force, Performance Improvement Teams, hospital committees and other assigned meetings. Leads groups as appropriate.
Develops and updates department business plan and goals consistent with the facility s strategic business plan, mission and vision.
1. Proactively provides information that affects organization wide plan.
2. Develops, reviews, updates, and communicates to employees, department and facility goals.
3. Develops and implements policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services.
4. Responds, promotes and supports changes with flexibility.
5. Manages departmental plan consistent with budgetary constraints.
6. Meets reporting deadlines.
7. Develops departmental policy that demonstrates cross Department collaboration.
8. Maintains appropriate quality control program.
9. Participates in the selection of outside sources for needed services.
ETHICS AND REGULATORY PROACTIVENESS:
Ensures organization and department specific compliance with corporate requirements and requirements of all applicable (local, state and federal) agencies.
1. Uses trends/acts upon information obtained to ensure quality of care and employee safety.
2. Anticipates/plans for implementation of change required by various regulatory agencies and communicates same. Maintains Department according to appropriate regulatory compliance agencies and makes required improvements/changes when deficiencies are noted.
3. Department standards are consistent with Hospital s Plan for Patient Care.
4. Conduct reinforces company values and promotes the Code of Conduct.
5. Meets leadership obligations under the Ethics and Compliance Program.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
Required: Graduate from an accredited school on nursing. BSN & MSN preferred.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
8 years related management level experience in a comprehensive surgical services hospital environment.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
Demonstrated success and abilities in leadership, achieving results, communications, customer service and health care management.
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: (list required and preferred separately)
Required: RN license in the State of Florida. BLS
Last Edited: 08/23/2016