Director, Tax & Treasury - Grand Rapids, MI
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/30/2016
END DATE 11/2/2016
Gordon Food Service
Grand Rapids, MI
JOB DESCRIPTIONAre you looking for a new opportunity with a strong, stable and financially smart company? Do you want the opportunity for advancement in your career? If so, Gordon Food Service could be the place for you; for more than a century we have been honoring our promises to our customers and employees. As one of the largest privately held foodservice distributors in North America, our family-owned company has a history of pursuing innovative ideas and building strong relationships.
The continued growth of current and new markets allows for the addition of new talent to join our team. We're seeking great people looking for professional and personal growth and a place to make a difference in people's lives. If you are interested in joining an innovative, supportive, values-driven company, we invite you to consider a career with Gordon Food Service.
As a drect report to the CFO and member of the finance leadership team, this role is responsible for all aspects of tax and treasury in order to meet the financial obligations of the Company. This individual will contribute sound business judgment, strategic thinking, dynamic leadership, and broad financial and business perspective across the GFS North American business operations.
This tax and treasury leader will lead a team of approximately 17 employees in tax compliance, tax planning, treasury operations and financial services, which includes retirement plan management and investment management and bank borrowings. This executive will be a key point of contact for auditing firms.
* Oversee the management and development of the Company s international, federal, state/provincial tax strategy, short and long-term goals, and drive tax research and planning efforts.
* Establish relationships across the organization to understand operational plans so that the tax strategy can optimally support the business.
* Direct the creation of periodic reporting required by management and the board of directors as it relates to tax strategies, investment activities, treasury operations and hedging strategies.
* Assist with required financial reporting and disclosures as required by GAAP and ASPE standards.
* Oversee all tax audits.
* Direct all tax return preparation, compliance, and indirect tax activities across North America.
* Assess the need for systems and implementation in order to maximize all aspects of tax reporting and processing.
* Establish and oversee relationships with external partners within the tax, treasury and retirement plan management areas.
* Provide strategic planning and management of Transfer Pricing and financial tax reporting support.
* Oversees daily cash support needs and surplus funds investment strategies to ensure the various legal entities have sufficient liquidity on a daily basis.
* Formulate cash management, investment, and other financial policies for the organization.
* Identify and analyze financial risk exposures along with managing interest rate risk and foreign exchange risk. Proactively determine strategies for managing these risks.
* Develop and manage currency and commodity exposures and hedging strategies.
* Oversee the establishment and maintenance of a North American cash forecast.
* Oversee the Company s 401(k), profit sharing, and other retirement plans across North America.
* Hire, develop, and inspire team members. Conduct performance monitoring of staff, initiating follow through with disciplinary action and termination in consultation with Human Resources when appropriate for the department. Mentors, motivates, and develops staff and acts as a role model and resource to them.
The breadth of this role would leverage a unique set of experiences. Our qualifications and experience requirements include:
* Minimum of 12-years broad experience in the strategic leadership of Corporate Taxation, ideally with banking and financial treasury exposure in a multinational organization of relevant size and complexity. While industry experience in a product manufacturing or distribution environment is particularly relevant, individuals from services sectors such as foodservice, hospitality and retail could also find success here.
* Direct working experience working with C-suite individuals and leading through tax planning and delivery of treasury strategy over many years with high success rate.
* Deep knowledge of US tax law; specific exposure to Canadian Revenue Authority is important.
* Possesses the business and technical ability to research complex tax issues and has prior experience in writing tax technical memorandum for audit support.
* A Bachelor s Degree with Finance, Accounting or Taxation concentration is required. An advanced degree (Master s Degree, Master of Science in Taxation (MST) or Master of Business Administration (MBA)) is strongly preferred, as is Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Financial Planner (CFP), or Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) credential.
* Detail-oriented and "roll-up-your-sleeves" executive with equal ability to communicate and provide clear, effective leadership.
* Intelligent; possesses excellent analytical, quantitative reasoning and interpretive abilities.
* Well-organized, confident, decisive and creative.
* Maintains confidentiality; has a sustained track record of building strong, trusting relationships with people.
* Low ego; puts the company interests ahead of personal interests.
* Collaborative; a strong team player and a reputation for building strong teams.
Gordon Food Service values our customers and understands that their success is largely dependent upon their workforce. To demonstrate our commitment to our partnership, we will require any candidate who works for a GFS customer to provide a letter of support from their management if they are selected for the interview process.
We take care of each other at Gordon Food Service. Employees love our competitive benefit plans, which include all the things you would expect and a few that you might not! Click here for more details.
Why Work for Gordon Food Service? Gordon Food Service Stewardship Report
Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants and employees will receive consideration for employment, or in terms or conditions of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
All Gordon Food Service locations are tobacco free.