This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/16/2016
END DATE 11/10/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
JOB ID 20162825 DATE POSTED 08/15/2016 Description
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting to the VP of Group Technology, the main focus for the Director, Ventures is supporting National Grid s investment in Energy Impact Partners (EIP). EIP is a collaborative strategic investment platform that provides capital to companies optimizing energy consumption and improving sustainable energy. National Grid is a limited partner with both strategic and financial interests in EIP. The Director, Ventures will manage the overall EIP relationship by ensuring thorough linkages between EIP, EIP s portfolio companies and National Grid s core businesses in both the US and the UK. The Group Technology Team is a global team located in the US and UK, that focuses on generating commercial opportunities, addressing end customer needs and providing insight into innovative technologies by enabling partnerships between business groups within National Grid, EIP and the global energy technology ecosystem.
The position is located in Greater Boston, MA. Considerable presence at EIP (based in New York City) will also be required. The successful candidate will be a trusted partner to National Grid s businesses, and their expertise, insights and thought leadership will be welcome and sought after.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
LEAD NATIONAL GRID S RELATIONSHIP WITH EIP, INCLUDING:
* Interface with EIP in evaluating and conducting due diligence in potential investments
* Work with Director US Internal Innovation and Manager UK internal Innovation to bring perspective of National Grid subject matter experts within core businesses to due diligence activities in potential EIP investments
* Disseminate learnings from EIP and from portfolio companies throughout National Grid
* Work with the core business units in the UK and US to identify key areas and unmet needs that EIP pipeline companies could address
* Coordinate National Grid participation in limited partner working groups
* Organize sessions for EIP and portfolio companies to interface with National Grid leaders to provide updates
* Manage administrative activities associated with the EIP relationship, including interfacing with legal, finance, and accounting
* Screen, qualify and refer investment opportunities received by National Grid to EIP as appropriate
SERVE AS THE PRIMARY ENERGY TECHNOLOGY VENTURE INTERFACE FOR NATIONAL GRID
* Represent National Grid at and attend venture forums (e.g., CleanTech Open, MIT Clean Energy Prize) on behalf of National Grid
* Develop and manage relationships with other energy technology investors
* Represent National Grid and speak at external events and panels at industry conferences to highlight EIP and National Grid s innovation activities as a means of facilitating relationships with the clean tech community
* Manage Venture team (initially, one analyst) to ensure coverage
* Work closely with the broader Group Technology team to ensure seamless effective fulfillment of overall Group Technology mission
* Assist/support Director US Internal Innovation and Manager UK internal Innovation in identifying ventures with promising technologies to meet key business needs for National Grid
* Share developments from energy venture arena to Director External Innovation for inclusion in National Grid knowledge base and internal communication efforts
* Contribute insights to Group Technology reporting activities to National Grid audiences
* Support bi-annual reporting on technology and innovation to National Grid senior leadership
* Work closely with the Group Technology team to build the required infrastructure and processes that would enable scale and programmatic execution of National Grid s technology-innovation mission.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* Undergraduate degree in Science or Engineering required, MBA degree preferred
* Substantial and direct experience in energy technology investing within the venture capital or private equity space
* Detailed knowledge and understanding of energy technology areas, related business models, and trends for energy products and solutions
* Experience in and understanding of the US and EU power and natural gas sectors, including regulatory/technology/business issues impacting the industry and future trends
* Utility experience is a plus, with energy technology, business development, or alliance focused roles preferred
* Understanding of financial concepts and ability to model business scenarios (including pro-forma financial impacts)
* Proven network of relationships in energy technology industries
* Self-starter and strategic thinker with a track record of working from a blank slate in creating strategies and plans for "greenfield" initiatives.
* Experience interfacing with senior executives of large utility or end user customers.
Leadership Characteristics Required:
* Expert communication (written and presentation) and relationship-building skills are critical, as the person in this position will serve an important role for both National Grid and EIP interfacing with senior executives externally and within National Grid s core businesses.
* Ability to establish relationships at all levels within a global business and provide subject-matter expertise and advice relevant to specific business needs
* Strategic thinker with the ability to handle complexity and ambiguity, and correctly prioritize multiple deals and activities while focusing on achieving both short-term and long-term objectives.
* Demonstrated ability to constructively influence decisions and collaboratively evolve the status quo, requiring situational adaptability to act as a leader, a facilitator and a participant
* Drive for continuous development of both self and team members
* Comfortable working in a matrix organization and effectively engaging with multiple stakeholders at various levels in the organization
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer, committed to providing equal opportunity to employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, predisposing genetic characteristics, or any other factor protected from discrimination under municipal, state, or federal law. We encourage all interested, qualified persons to join the National Grid team.
:Global Strategy & Business Development
:Aug 14, 2016, 11:00:00 PM