Director of Development, UCLA College Life Sciences 9/2/2016
University of California - Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY
ADVANCEMENT OFFICER III
Director of Development, UCLA College Life Sciences
$6,559 - $13,225 monthly
Department Website URL:
Job Summary Statement:
As one of four academic divisions within UCLA College, the Division of Life Sciences encompasses a wide variety of programs, institutes and centers committed to excellence in research and education. An essential part of achieving such excellence is the ability to raise funds. The Division of Life Sciences in the College of Letters and Science is seeking a Director of Development with strong development experience, self-confidence, and initiative. Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Life Sciences Development in the College of Letters and Science, and in consultation with the Dean of Life Sciences, the Director of Development will establish long-range goals and objectives for development programs and activities that reflect the academic priorities of the Division of Life Sciences. The Director will determine market feasibility for academic priorities and provide advice and counsel to deans, in collaboration with other members of the Life Sciences development team. He/She will design and implement a strategic development plan that represents the Dean's priorities for the University's Centennial Campaign and will prepare for and participate in major gift solicitations. The Director will identify a core group of prospective donors for major gifts and maintain active awareness of individuals in the prospect pool at various stages of identification, cultivation and solicitation. He/She will use available data to develop constituencies and identify prospects in relation to academic priorities; will organize and conduct meetings of volunteers and donors designed to identify new prospective donors for private support; and will create additional vehicles and methods for identifying prospects as necessary. The Director will engage high-level volunteers to provide community linkage to development programs. He/She will meet with faculty in priority areas and gain knowledge of research interests and areas of expertise as well as serve as a staff resource to the Dean of Life Sciences and represent the Life Sciences in the College and to the broader community. The Director will establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with appropriate individuals and offices in the College of Letters and Science and throughout External Affairs.
Percentage of Time:
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION
1. Progressive responsibility and experience as a professional development officer with a minimum of five years of experience.
2. Ability to work harmoniously with volunteers, academic leaders, faculty, and other development staff toward the accomplishment of fundraising goals.
3. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of fundraising in a university setting with a strong understanding of the goals, functions and services of a research university.
4. Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and implement individual, corporate and foundation identification, cultivation and solicitation strategies
5. Strong ability to recruit, orient, train, organize, motivate and evaluate staff and volunteers who support development goals and programs.
6. Ability to establish priorities and complete work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
7. Ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing, about UCLA's fundraising goals and the specific priorities of the Division of Life Sciences; equal ability to listen perceptively and convey sensitivity and awareness.
8. Excellent written and communication skills, with the ability to produce business correspondence, solicitation materials, appropriate letters of acknowledgement, proposals to individuals, corporations and foundations, and reports.
9. Experience conceptualizing, planning and implementing special events.
10. Knowledge of Microsoft Suite of applications is preferred as is familiarity with other applications, programs and databases as needed with a willingness to learn new technologies.
11. Ability to work some weekends and evenings as needed.
12. Bachelor's degree is preferred.
ADDITIONAL POSTING INFORMATION
External Posting Date:
Quicklink To Posting:
THE TARGET SALARY RANGE FOR THIS POSITION IS BETWEEN THE POSTED MINIMUM AND $8,333.33 MONTHLY.
Number of Positions:
SPECIAL EMPLOYMENT DESIGNATIONS/ REQUIREMENTS PER UC POLICY
Conflict of Interest:
Continued employment contingent upon completion of satisfactory background investigation.
Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UCLA to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
More Information No Response
Is this position designated as a mandatory reporter under CANRA* No
Other Special Employment Requirements:
POSITION IS SUBJECT TO PERFORMANCE STANDARDS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY WIDE POLICE POLICIES AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES.
Return to Search Results