Director of Facilities Management 8/19/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Kitchell is an employee-owned company with a nearly 70-year history in general contracting, construction management, development, facilities management, engineering and architecture and myriad other services within the built environment. Our 850-plus employee owners manage projects from main offices in Arizona, California, Iowa, Texas and Latin America. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that fosters personal and professional growth through in-house education programs, formal and informal mentoring and cross-training opportunities. Kitchell encourages employee engagement through our formal profit-sharing plan, opportunity for enhanced ownership and by offering increasing responsibility through career advancement. We are consistently ranked among the top places to work, attributable to our tenured staff and outstanding benefits including health and life insurance, 401(k), college savings plans, business travel assistance and insurance, discounted auto and homeowners insurance, identity theft protection, rewards programs and much more.
We are seeking a Facilities Management (FM) Executive is responsible for the overall management, vision, direction and profitability of the department. The executive provides leadership and accountability for the department and directs external sales, marketing and business development efforts. This position ensures other company department activities are supported and company standards and values are maintained throughout the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Develops, implements and executes department short and long-range goals and objectives to support sales, profit and overall company objectives.
* Plans, directs and is accountable for the achievement of department sales, revenue and profit objectives and effective management of overhead costs.
* Analyses activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine department progress toward stated goals and objectives.
* Confers with KCEM president to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals and objectives resulting from current status conditions.
* Develops strategy and leads all business development efforts for the department including the preparation of technical proposals and presentations for new work.
* Supports and participates in regional and market sector business development and marketing efforts.
* Actively participates in the business community and builds relationships within the industry to generate and enhance business opportunities.
* Maintains and ensures client satisfaction and effectively resolves complaints when necessary in order to secure repeat business.
* Enforces high quality standards, understands key process issues and ensures implementation of process improvements for all work within the department.
* Develops and implements staffing strategy and department structure to meet current needs and growth objectives. Recommends effective staffing and compensation of department employees in accordance company policies and procedures.
* Implements succession planning and management objectives for the department to ensure leadership continuity within the company.
* Facilitates and ensures the effective execution of the performance management process, and directs, supports and ensures the training and professional development of department employees.
* Consults with and coaches employees on projects dealing with the most major and complex design, site, budget or scheduling issues.
* Maintains department processes and ensures operations are executed in accordance with company policies and procedures.
* Ensures that all company activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state and federal regulations and laws governing professional practice.
* Prepares and negotiates owner contracts and ensures delivery and adherence to contractual requirements.
* Builds and maintains positive business partner relationships within and outside of Kitchell including owners, architects, engineers and contractors.
* Encourages use of and supports new and creative techniques or technologies to provide services, enhance our work product and increase profitability.
* Promotes boundary-less operations between companies and capitalizes on collaboration opportunities when possible.
* Manages the distribution of work amongst the engineering and architectural services department to ensure proper resource utilization and the completion of projects within deadlines.
* Proactively directs, supports and ensures the training and professional development of department employees.
* Facilitates and ensures the continuous and effective execution of the performance management process for all department employees.
* Executes additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
* Possess considerable knowledge of engineering principles, policies, procedures, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry and electrical systems.
* Previous direct supervision and operational experience in large complex contracts with substantial square feet of operations and maintenance.
* In-depth knowledge of financial terms and principles, required. Ability to forecast and prepare budgets, analyze and prepare complex financial/business reports.
* Excellent communication skills adaptable to varied delivery methods and audiences; be able to convey information succinctly, make effective presentations and deliver professional reports.
* Demonstrated organizational, problem solving and common sense skills.
* Knowledge of Cal OSHA and OSHA occupational safety regulations.
* Ability to evaluate building problems and recommend solutions to include cost estimates for the repair.
* Ability to read and understand construction, mechanical, electrical and equipment blueprints and schematics.
Education and Experience Required:
* Bachelor s degree from four-year College or university in architecture, engineering or related field.
* Minimum 10 years progressive and position related work experience in facilities management, and at least 5 years related work experience leading employees.
* Certified Facility Manager (CFM) certification or other field related certifications preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in a variety of environments including mechanical rooms, office space and construction areas. Conditions occasionally include exposure to outdoor elements, hot/cold temperatures, wet conditions, noise, atmospheric conditions and cramped quarters. The noise level in the work environment is regularly moderate and occasionally loud.
While performing the duties of this job, physical demands may include sitting, standing, lifting, crouching, kneeling, crawling, climbing ladders, exposure to toxic substances, exposure to risk of electrical shock, keyboarding and viewing computer monitor requiring close vision.
Kitchell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status..