Director of Laboratory - Laboratory Unit 9/16/2016
San Antonio, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Code: 01588-72025
Days (rotating weekends)
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital receives international acclaim for its outstanding and dynamic kidney, liver and pancreas transplant programs, setting record numbers for volume and outcomes. Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is home to the Texas Transplant Institute, a nationally recognized center that recently performed the world s first 16-way kidney donor exchange chain during three consecutive days at a single hospital.
Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital earned designation as a Center of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Excellence from the American Society for Bariatric Surgery in 2008. Our Sexual Assault Response Team provides a compassionate environment for sexual assault survivors ages 13 and up. This program serves as a model for hospitals and agencies all over the world.
Ours hospital provides patient-centered care with a staff of professionals who genuinely care for the well-being of others. As part of Methodist Healthcare s mission of Serving Humanity to Honor God, we strive to offer care in a safe and compassionate environment.
General Statement of Duties:
The Director of Laboratory is responsible for all aspects of laboratory services and will ensure that care is provided in accordance with the Standard of Care at Methodist Healthcare.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Develops, implements, and updates the Laboratory Department s strategic plan. The laboratory strategic plan must reflect the greater strategic plans of each individual hospital and the Methodist System as a whole. The strategic plan will include specific goals, as well as, the plan s anticipated impact on service, quality, cost and revenue.
2. Prepares and implements the Laboratory Department s annual routine and capital expense budgets. The laboratory budget will reflect the Department s strategic plan and will be used by the Director as a measure of the effectiveness of the strategic plan. The Director of the laboratory will monitor the Department s budget carefully, preparing monthly reports that monitor major cost and revenue centers and document (support) significant variances.
3. Evaluates and communicates recommendations to immediate supervisor regarding sufficient space, facilities, equipment, supplies and staffing levels required to provide optimal patient care. Helps to develop and maintain standards of performance for professional and non-professional laboratory staff.
4. Coordinates Laboratory operational activities between Medical Directors and Administrative Function. Negotiates and maintains contracts for Laboratory Services with Reference Labs, Physician Offices, or companies for which MHS either provides or purchases Laboratory Services.
5. Responsible for training and implementation of Compliance Program for Laboratories. Demonstrates awareness of Medical Necessity Documentation. Maintains a market wide charge master and pricing for laboratory tests.
6. Develops, implements and monitors the Laboratory Department s quality improvement program for both clinical and anatomical services. Ensures that the Department complies with the conditions of participation, requirements or regulations of the following agencies: Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Organizations (JCAHO), The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA), and American Association of Blood Banks (AABB).
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Baccalaureate degree in science or medical technology is required. Masters degree in medical technology, business administration, or health services management is desirable.
1) Five years management experience or higher level required.
2) Experience in planning and budgeting required.
3) Experience managing multiple facilities desirable.
Minimum License and Certificates Required:
MT (ASCP), or CLS (NCA), or MT (AAB)
Last Edited: 09/15/2016