Director of Nursing - Emergency Room 9/17/2016
Sugar Land, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Summary
The Director of Nursing is responsible for the 24-hour management of the assigned nursing units and departments in terms of the quality of nursing care delivered, as well as for planning, organizing, leading and evaluating nursing services within area of specialty. The director provides leadership and oversight in the accomplishment of strategic and operational objectives of The Department of Nursing. Provides strategic direction for nursing and business operations, responsible for establishing strategic and tactical plans for clinical services, new programs and human resource allocation. Promotes a practice environment that empowers nurses to provide effective, compassionate, efficient and knowledgeable nursing care. Works in cooperation with the Medical Staff to ensure regulations and accreditation standards are maintained.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Plans, budgets and organizes, and manages the department to accomplish operational and strategic objectives.
* Projects anticipated volume and demand for resources, conducts cost analysis, analyzes and monitors budget reports and variances, evaluates human and material resource utilization and makes necessary adjustments, collaborates with finance and other business personnel to develop new program initiatives. Analyzes and interprets complex data sets and reports (variance analysis, financial/quality, population specific reports).
* Sets priorities and goals in consultation with senior management. Provides leadership to staff, giving direction and guidance to managers and staff as appropriate.
* Directs, delegates and oversees work efforts as appropriate to insure the best possible delivery of service, quality outcomes, and high customer/patient satisfaction.
* Maintains 24 hour accountability and authority for decisions regarding patient care, unit operations and personnel management for designated unit(s).
* Promotes a satisfied and competent employee work environment through establishing a climate for growth and challenge, doing timely performance appraisals, providing development and mentoring of managers and staff.
* Directs and implements hiring, counseling, discipline and performance management of unit staff and management whom report to this position.
* Creates a climate that fosters compassionate care, innovation, cooperation, collaboration and teamwork. Functions as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care.
* Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred.
* Remains current and proficient with regulatory requirements for the provision of clinical services. Translates the requirements into operations to ensure compliance. Uses automated systems to access, transmit and produce information (i.e. databases, Teletracking, METHOD).
* Coordinates the provision of comprehensive, intradisciplinary patient care that results in clinical excellence, optimal outcomes and maximum patient and family satisfaction.
* Demonstrates Service Standards.
* Demonstrates components of I CARE values and complies with Business Practices standards for performance.
* Follows all safety rules on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelors required.
* Masters strongly preferred.
* One degree must be in Nursing.
* Progressively responsible experience in a clinical setting for a minimum of 5 years, 3 of which are in a management role.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
* Registered Nurse with current Texas license.
* CPR certification through American Heart Association
* Other certifications as determined by unit.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
* Knowledge of healthcare industry and functional discipline to be managed.
* Knowledge of management principles, processes and procedures.
* Skill in developing and maintaining interpersonal relationships as required in the operating environment.
* Effectively skilled in verbal and written communication within the English language.
* Must be able to plan, organize and delegate departmental responsibilities.
* Skill and ability to coach and develop others.
* Must be able to analyze and solve problems effectively.
* Excellent computer skills with knowledge of hospital information systems and office applications.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.