Director of Operations, South West
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe Director of Operations, South West is responsible for the overall performance of a multi-location region. This includes assisting warehouse management and establishing warehouse performance objectives that are consistent with regional and corporate goals. The incumbent is accountable for achieving regional objectives as related to sales, profitability, costs, safety, productivity and customer service and satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Accountable for profitability of region.
* Provide expertise to area in all facets of running a successful operation.
* Solid understanding of technology and systems in operation.
* Successfully convert operations information into profitable pricing recommendations.
* Effectively drive operational excellence and continuous improvement in alignment with KN policies, standard IT applications and operational control systems (KPIs and QSHE audits).
* Compile and manage budgetary responsibilities of at least $20.0 million for area of responsibility.
* DCM Selection, evaluation, guidance and mentoring.
* Works with DCMs to establish and achieve warehouse operations, profitability and personal performance objectives. Review and update objectives periodically as needed.
* As applicable, upgrade management talent periodically by undertaking a thorough talent review down through the Warehouse Supervisor level and take appropriate action to retain and develop high performers.
* Promote talent development through training, succession planning initiatives, and the management by objectives process.
* With guidance from Human Resources, ensure the administration of performance improvement plans or termination when necessary.
* Communicate a clear direction and vision that others rally behind and strive to accomplish.
* Question traditional ways of conducting business and encourage change when appropriate.
* Seek and create innovative ways to grow existing business.
* Build strong customer relationships at top levels.
* Negotiate effectively with customers; ability to say no persuasively and diplomatically when necessary.
* Create realistic expectations and persuade customer perceptions.
* Pro-actively stay in-front of customer, know their business and continue to provide added value.
* High-level involvement in the business development process (tender analysis, solution design, costing and service offering).
* Demonstrate executive commitment to projects.
* Analyze and determine whether an opportunity is a good business fit.
* Monitor market trends and competitor activity in region in order to identify new business opportunities.
* Oversee new business start-ups to ensure successful implementation.
* Drive new sales within the current customer base.
* Hiring and firing of professional level subordinates. Monitor succession planning.
* Facility expansion and contraction. Aid in the planning of effective locations for customer products.
* Customer pricing and profitable negotiations. Makes realistic customer commitments.
* BA/BS Degree
* Master's Degree would be a plus.
* Experience in warehousing and logistics management
* At least seven to ten years of successful business management experience in a distribution environment, preferably third party logistics.
* Proficiency in planning, staffing, and budgeting
* Develop effective relationships and provide leadership
* Successful communication - written and verbal
* Establish priorities and multi-task
* Possess professional business demeanor
* Personal computers and materials handling equipment
* Previous successful P&L experience.
* Transportation background/experience.
* PC literate and solid knowledge and experience with WMS/TMS tools.
* Significant operations start-up experience.
* Strong strategic and analytical skills.
* Entrepreneurial work ethic.
* Strong ability to influence, negotiate and solve conflicts.
* Ability to travel frequently at times (50 to 75%).