Director of Research
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/8/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
South San Francisco, CA
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION: Director of Research
TYPE: Full Time
LOCATION: Brisbane (South San Francisco), California
* Inspire and mentor a team of scientists and engineers to rapidly develop best in class products and applications.
* Stay current with market and technology developments including market needs, competitor products, and research in biomedicine, photonics, and other relevant medical device technologies.
* Initiate development of new concepts for products and applications and organize and drive proof-of-concept studies.
* Lead and support development of new applications through modeling, biomedical benchtop experiments, and clinical studies.
* Serve as project manager for major product development programs as needed.
* Contribute as a high-level individual contributor to product designs, modeling, and experimental studies.
* Prepare program updates for engineering staff and senior management as needed.
* Help build and manage company's IP portfolio.
* A Ph.D. degree in physics, physical chemistry, or relevant engineering discipline is strongly preferred including a record of innovative academic research.
* Alternatively, an MS degree with at least 10years of related experience.
* At least 4years of experience managing a team of senior level scientists or engineers with a focus on leading by example.
* A track record of leading successful product introductions including at least one significant program from proof of concept through pilot production and a strong understanding and appreciation of best practices for product development.
* A sense of urgency in driving projects and desire to set ambitious goals and work aggressively to meet project schedules.
* In depth knowledge and ability to apply concepts of optics, acoustics, or RF electro-magnetism.
* Experience with advanced concepts in one or more of the following areas is preferred: laser physics, classical optics, nonlinear optics, optical delivery systems, thermally induced tissue damage, laser tissue ablation, and biomedicine.
* Experience using software for data analysis, data acquisition, and modeling. Examples include Mathematica, MatLab, Zemax, Paraxia, COMSOL, Python, and LabView or equivalents.
* Basic knowledge of digital and analog electronics.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* A drive and passion for developing a holistic understanding to problems and developing creative, practical solutions in a timely manner.
* An interest and curiosity for biomedicine and biomedical applications