Director of Sales - Commercial Division 8/16/2016
Tufts Health Plan
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY The Director Sales reports to the VP, Sales and Client Services. This role is responsible for the direction and management of new business sales and business development activities for the sales team in our MA and NH markets. This includes but is not limited to distribution and channel management strategy, market position and competitiveness, broker strategy, alignment of compensation programs to business goals and achievement of membership and profitability target for the MA and NH market. In addition to direct leadership of the MA and NH teams, this role provides coaching and support for our RI sales team. This inclusive multi-state leadership role is essential for consistent sales strategies, daily execution of focused activities and efficient sales support and reporting for all regions.
* Drives the development and execution of new business sales strategies that produce desired outcomes and identifies improvements where and when required
* Manages the sales team resources to deliver profitable growth
* Monitors customer, market, competitor and industry activities
* Develops strategies to enhance market position and competitiveness
* Develops and maintains key customer and channel partner relationships and implements strategies for expanding the customer base
* Participates in the closing of key strategic opportunities
* Manages customer expectations and contributes to a high level of customer satisfaction
* Monitors customer, market and competitor activity and provides feedback to THP executive leadership team and other company functional areas
* Oversees the hiring and development of the sales organization
* Participates in the design of internal compensation programs and incentive plans that motivate the sales team to achieve their goals
* Fosters a culture of success and ongoing business and goal achievement
* Becomes known as an employer of choice and a sales force that top talent want to join
* Partners with Underwriting / Actuarial leadership on pricing policies, objectives and development of revenue and profitability goals
* Oversees and approves sales forecast submissions
* Participates in the design and recommends the strategy for broker commission and bonus programs; ensures program incentives are aligned with THP goals
* Works closely with Marketing to establish successful support, channel and partner programs
* Oversees the research and develop strategies and plans which identify marketing opportunities, direct marketing, and new project development
* Defines sales training programs that enable staff to achieve their potential and support membership and profitability objectives
* Ensures the infrastructure and systems are in place to support the success of the sales function
BA/BS degree required; Masters degree in business administration (MBA) or equivalent preferred.
This role requires a minimum of 8-10 years of successful direct sales, sales management and business planning experience, preferably in health insurance or related field. Deep knowledge of health insurance industry, managing strategic relationships with key channel partners and experience supporting analytically rigorous initiatives strongly preferred. Knowledge of the Massachusetts market preferred.
The position requires excellent strategic planning and strong problem solving skills. A high degree of drive, empathy, motivation, creativity, initiative and sound judgment are also essential in this role.
The successful candidate must work cooperatively, as a team member with executive-level peers, including regular personal contact (by phone and in person) with senior leadership at employer groups, broker partners and consultants, as well as internally with various departments within THP. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills and professional conduct at all times, in order to effectively advise, make decisions and function appropriately as a representative of THP.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
The successful candidate will be working within a fast-paced business office environment, handling multiple demands and exercising appropriate judgment as necessary. Excellent judgment and a high energy level are essential. A reliable car and the ability to drive throughout New England is required, and may require occasional long hours, as well as some early morning, evening, weekend hours or overnight travel.
CONFIDENTIAL DATA: All information (written, verbal, electronic, etc.) that an employee encounters while working at Tufts Health Plan is considered confidential. The successful candidate will be exposed to and required to deal with highly confidential and sensitive material and must adhere to corporate compliance policy and department guidelines/policies and all applicable laws and regulations at all times.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled