Director of Staff Development 8/9/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY This position assumes responsibility of the Employee Health Nurse, as the Director of Staff Development, ensuring budget management and hospital wide competencies. Coordinates staffing to ensure regulatory requirements are met in regards to Hours per Patient Day. Assumes responsibility for oversight of employees' health plan (TB testing, Hep V Vaccination, Influenza Program) and Workers Compensation issues, oversight and maintenance of staff education.
* Monitors aggregation of data and evaluation of mandatory monitoring completion.
* Educates staff and physicians regarding the Performance Improvement program, processes, teams and findings.
* Serves as a resource regarding performance improvement, accrediting and regulatory issues.
* Prepares presentation reports with action plans and evaluations.
* Coordinates staff orientation program with HR.
* Coordinate staff in-servicing and education programming.
* Acts as resource and nursing advocate in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of all contact hour educational activities.
* Maintains staff educational files.
* Provides oversight and management for employee health plan including annual TB testing, Hepatitis B Vaccination Program, and the Influenza Vaccine Program.
* Ensures nursing staff remain in compliance with hospital and department policies and procedures regarding competencies.
* Holds monthly staff meetings ensuring appropriate information is reported and communicated.
* Participates in hospital committee meetings as assigned.
* Attends and serves on professional/civic service organizations as a hospital representative.
* Oversees the C.N.A. Program, handles with corrective actions and evaluations.
* Monitors Attendance and Tardiness as well as time clock use concerns.
* Prepares and collects the preceptor documentation.
* Administers nursing care as indicated by the nursing care plan and in compliance with JCAHO.
* Reviews all patient histories to determine course of illness and all co morbidities for integration into the care plan.
* Demonstrates the ability to assign meaning to patient symptoms and initiating appropriate action.
* Ensures problems/concerns regarding activities in the hospital/department are communicated appropriately.
* Effectively assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care for patients.
* Educates patients, families and significant others regarding treatment, tests, special procedures, medications and safety.
* Consistently monitoring patient condition and initiates appropriate nursing intervention.
* Initiates and conducts emergency measures (including CPR) required to stabilize patient's condition.
* Prioritizes patients' needs, expediting treatment for acutely ill patients to include CPR.
* Consistently documents patient care and reports pertinent clinical observations and reactions to the appropriate individual.
* Actively participates in development and assessment of patient care issues as they relate to Performance Improvement activities for the department.
* Initiates the plan of care within 24 hours of admission and consistently updates care plan with changes in patient needs/condition.
* Performs and accurately documents the patient admission assessment, completing within 24 hours of admission.
* Consistently and accurately performs reassessments during each shift and when the patient condition changes.
* Manages worker compensation claims to minimize cost.
* Completes other assessment tools as defined in policy when appropriate (i.e., pain assessment, press ulcer protocol, etc).
* Administering medications as ordered by physician using age specific monitors.
* Ensuring medications are ordered, received and transcribed on a routine basis and in a timely manner.
* Appropriately transcribes, administers and documents medications according to policy and procedures and age specific considerations.
* Monitors and removes all discontinued medications or expired medications from patients locked drawers on a routine basis.
* Maintains a current and accurate listing of all patient medications.
* Demonstrates knowledge and ability to intercede in repetitive prescriptions or contradictory medications.
* Reorders emergency medications from emergency box as needed.
* Monitors and removes any discounted or expired medications from patients locked drawer.
* Reports all abnormal test results to physician in a timely manner; triages activities based on borderline and/or abnormal and/or unusual findings.
* Demonstrates ability to understand and react effectively to unique/special needs of adolescents, adults, and/or elderly patients.
* Initiates approved regimes of care as established by policy. Reports all findings to physicians. Assures proper follow-up resolution of patient clinical complaints.
* Demonstrates leadership, communication and teaching skills.
* Practices appropriate infection control and isolation techniques to maintain a safe environment and control the spread of infection.
* Writes and reviews progress notes according to policy and procedures.
* Documenting nursing interventions and patient responses including physical and psychological response.
* Documenting patient needs problem capabilities, limitations and progress.
* Ensures all documentation is legible and neat and that records are appropriately signed (i.e., first initial, last name, title, and date).
* Documenting any teaching done with patient family and/or significant other.
* Ensures accuracy regarding transcribing of physician orders.
* Ensuring appropriate documentation regarding patient response to medications.
* Utilizes the appropriate charting forms and documents appropriately and legibly using appropriate charting format.
* Participates in performance improvement activities.
* Exchanges and communicates patient care information with interdisciplinary team.
* Demonstrates an understanding of the legal implications of clarity.
* Corrects audit deficiencies of medical record within allotted time frames.
* Follows policy and procedure regarding contacting administrator-on-call for staff call-ins on incoming shifts and patient/facility trouble-shooting.
* Initiates emergency measures in even of disaster or threat to facility as per emergency plans and protocols.
* Seeks the assistance of the Director of Clinical Services regarding areas of concern or conflicts with families, co-workers or patients in a professional proactive and courteous manner.
* Participates on a hospital committee(s).
* Demonstrates ability to serve as a patient advocate; demonstrates compassion and empathy with patients and their families.
* Performs resource nurse assignments and responsibilities.
* Prefer B.S. in nursing or equivalent clinical background
* Continuing education in the area of nursing practice
* Completed 24-hour BRN approved DSD class
* Experience in Performance Improvement
* Prefer experience in management with regards to supervising, managing, and working with a variety of people on an individual and group basis