Distribution Field Engineer
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/19/2016
END DATE 11/2/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB DESCRIPTION
DISTRIBUTION FIELD ENGINEER
JOB ID 20163189 DATE POSTED 09/18/2016 Description
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
An integral part of the Electric Asset Management team, the Distribution Field Engineering Group supports technical elements of reliability performance and operations of electrical distribution for the entire National Grid geographic footprint. We are proud of how we apply cutting edge technology to upgrading and modifying aging infrastructure; embracing and integrating smart technologies. Our mission critical work provides the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects. Our team culture is self-directed and empowered, embracing the accountability inherent in our roles.
THIS POSITION SUPPORTS A HOST OF ACTIVITIES THAT ADDRESS CUSTOMER TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS; ASSISTS THE REGIONAL CUSTOMER OPERATIONS IN THE TECHNICAL OPERATION OF THE DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM; LEADS ACTIVITIES IN TRACKING REGIONAL DISTRIBUTION RELIABILITY PERFORMANCE AND PROMOTING ACTIONS TO IMPROVE IT; AND SUPPORTS ELECTRIC DISTRIBUTION ASSET MANAGEMENT IN COMPLETING ITS RESPONSIBILITIES.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
POSITION RESPONSIBILTIES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO):
* Evaluate co-generation interconnection requests for impact on the distribution system and develop plans for suitable connection.
* Assist in the investigation of complex customer voltage complaints.
* Point of contact for customer issues and operating problems, i.e., fault duty calculations, stray voltage, power quality, motor start, etc.
* Provide technical assistance for new service connections.
* Perform EMF measurements.
* Review all new customer loads equal to or greater than 200kVA and determine the feeder to which the load is to be connected; consult with Capacity Planning as required; advise Design on construction options that would effect reliability to the customer or the circuit.
* Review all requests for new or modified service from an underground AC network or dedicated preferred/alternate primary voltage scheme; determine the point of connection; design the distribution facilities needed for all services above a 400A customer entrance.
* Advise design group on conductor size when system re-work has been prompted by DOT, etc.
* Develop estimates in support of a CIAC (contribution in aid to construction) when appropriate to meet customer requests.
* Assist in the investigation of electric contact cases.
* Assist in the Incident Analysis of incorrect operating events.
* Help troubleshoot operating problems;
* Provide equipment settings and guidance to quickly resolve voltage problems.
* Provide TCC settings and reviews.
* Provide technical support to Customer Operations about equipment and operating conditions.
* Provide assistance to Operations for emergencies and storms.
* Perform feeder patrols as assigned by Operations.
* Support scope development of projects for Distribution Asset Management
* Assist as needed in developing line and cable ratings.
* Resolve feeder load imbalance.
* Assist in auditing the implementation and performance of various strategies. Respond to customer reliability complaints; meet them at their request.
* Initiate reliability blanket work.
* Act as standards coordinators for equipment problems/feedback on trial items.
* Ability to review daily interruption report to QC IDS input or identify follow-up action.
* Field investigate unknown caused feeder interruptions.
* Support company approved Strategies.
* Ability to travel overnight outside the normal work area for special events or emergencies.
* Ablility to work overtime including nights/weekend/holidays for special events or emergencies.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* BS in an engineering discipline (EE preferred) with a minimum of 5 years of electric utility or related consulting experience. EIT and Professional Engineers license desirable.
* Broad-based knowledge of distribution equipment and industry practices
* Can perform circuit protection coordination reviews
* Trouble-shooting skills
* Ability to organize large amounts of data and analyze the contents
* Knowledge of the contents of the asset register
* Skilled at using computer software to mine data and analyze the information.
* Must posses a valid driver's license with safe driving history.
This position is one of National Grid's career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolove in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applyint technical skills.
NATIONAL GRID VALUES AND CELEBRATES A BROAD DIVERSITY OF TALENT,, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND EXPEERTISE. WE FOSTER A CULTURE OF INCLUSIVENESS THAT DRIVES EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT TO DELIVER SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE TO THE COMMUNITIES WE SERVE. NATIONAL GRID IS PROUD TO BE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
:Electric Systems Eng
:Sep 18, 2016, 4:41:38 PM