Division Manager 9/8/2016
City of Houston
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY THE MAYOR\'S OFFICE FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES IS NOW HIRING FOR A DIVISION MANAGER!
_DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: _The Division Manager is responsible for the management and direction of the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD), a division of the City of Houston Department of Neighborhoods. The MOPD provides services and program which address the needs and rights of citizens with disabilities through facilitating delivery of services, making recommendations to public and private entities regarding the development of policy and legislation, establishing fundamental local, state and national partnerships to promote community awareness and liaising with Houston Commission on Disabilities (HCoD).The Division Manager will support the mission of the MOPD by providing direction, organization, planning and evaluation of programs and services provided to citizens. Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
* Coordination of compliance with federal, state and local laws concerning people with disabilities
*Review and analysis of existing programs for people with disabilities
* Oversight of Pedestrian Accessibility Review (PAR) of the City's Safe Sidewalk Program
* Planning programs, events and campaigns (Disability Awareness Month, etc.)
* Providing citizens with referral services
* Assisting with education of public and private entities on implementation of Americans with Disabilities Act
* Representing the MOPD at community events and activities
* Researching grant opportunities and coordinating grant writing and submissions
* Assisting with Emergency Preparedness Operations
* Assist in coordination of City of Houston Volunteer Accessible Parking Enforcement Program
* Serving on and/or attend Board/Council meetings at various locations throughout the city
* Other duties and functions as required for the successful operation of the MOPD.-Manages, trains, develops, counsels, and evaluates staff performance.
_WORKING CONDITIONS: _This position is physically comfortable; the individual has some discretion about walking, standing, etc.
_MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:_ Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Education, Social Sciences or a field closely related to the activities of the division.
_MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: _Seven (7) years of progressive, professional experience closely related to the activities of the division are required, with at least three (3) of those years in a supervisory capacity. A Master's degree in Business Administration or a field closely related to the activities of the division may be substituted for two years of experience. Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
_MINIMUM_ _LICENSE REQUIREMENTS: _Texas Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2).
_PREFERENCES:_ Experience working with the disabled. Experience working with the disabled community in an advocacy oriented disability organization or program. Grant research and writing experience. Ability to multi-task in a high-volume, fast-paced environment. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and accuracy. Effective oral and written communication skills. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
_**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**_
_SALARY INFORMATION_ : $65,988.00 - $102,596.00 Annually