Dosimetrist - PRN
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/7/2016
END DATE 10/8/2016
St. Joseph Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: Promotes quality patient care through the calculation of radiation dose distributions and dose calculations for the purpose of radiation therapy, utilizing appropriate technique, established protocols, physician direction and age specific guidelines. Maintains thorough knowledge of radiation oncology equipment, brachytherapy, and quality assurance guidelines and applies such knowledge in day to day performance of duties in collaboration with the Medical Physicist and Radiation Oncologist.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Consistently supports the hospital s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI)
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Must be able to use knowledge of physics, anatomy, and radiobiology to develop an optimal arrangement of radiation portals and exposures to spare normal tissue and radiosensitive tissues while applying a prescribed dose to target disease.
5. Adjust personal schedule to accommodate department workload including on-call when required. Assists others in department as time and schedule permits.
6. Supervise, perform, or assist in the planning of the fabrication of compensation filters, custom shields, wedges, and other beam modifying devices.
7. Consults with Radiation Therapist and Medical Physicist to determine objectives of each patient s treatment as prescribed by the Physician.
8. Consistently able to respond to high volume situations in addition to routine schedule without sacrificing accuracy/quality. Must meet modality specific departmental standards. Adjust personal schedule to accommodate department workload including on-call when required. Assists others in department as time and schedule permits.
9. Calculates dose for brachytherapy implants and performs calculations for the accurate delivery of the Radiation Oncologist s prescribed dose, document the information, and verify the mathematical accuracy of all calculations.
10. Ensures daily treatment records are maintained and reviews charts on a weekly basis.
Provides physics and technical support to the Medical Physicist.
11. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
a. Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
b. Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
c. Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
12. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* 1 year
* Will consider new graduate
LICENSE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATION:
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF STATE HEALTH SERVICES CERTIFIED MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST CERTIFICATE
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
* Graduate of a formally recognized hospital/college affiliated dosimetry program.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills to deal effectively with patients under severe physical and emotional stress.
* Knowledge of radiobiology and analytical skills necessary to perform dose calculations.
* Must be able to write legibly, speak clearly, and have a working knowledge of radiographic principles.
* Has the ability to concentrate and focus on strict details for approximately 40 percent of work time.
* Demonstrates mature judgment and have the ability to make appropriate decisions with a minimum of supervision.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Job: Radiation Therapy Tech
Primary Location: Texas-Houston
Organization: St. Joseph Medical Center
Education Level: Other
Employee Status: PRN Position
Work Schedule: Days
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled