ECG Tech 9/1/2016
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB SUMMARY: The ECG Tech reports to the Clinical Manager, ECG. This position is responsible for technical support to the system's satellite equipment, as well as utilize skills and knowledge to perform electrocardiograms for the purpose of providing diagnostic data on all preoperative patients and patients who must be managed for infarction, impending infarction, drug toxicity or rhythm disturbance. Over 50 thousand electrocardiograms are performed each year inclusive of specialty ambulatory clinics.
* Telephones ECU's from all sites within the hospital. Doublechecks directories on machines to assure all ECG's captured and telephoned to Lab. Prints ECG's which have been telephoned into lab. Identifies lead placement as correct or quality of ECG will not be acceptable. Reviews ECG demographics and matches to patient record information in Clinical Computing system.
* Prepares index cards with patient identification and location. Assigns diagnosis reason for ECG request if one is not provided at time of physician ordering. Ensures diagnosis reason appropriately matches patient history for accuracy.
* Performs ECG testing on adult and newborn patients at request of physician. Obtains lightest quality, readable or interpretable ECG. Recognizes abnormalities which may be life threatening and reports to the assigned physician.
* Troubleshoots equipment problems to assure transmission while in the lab or on the floor performing patient services. Reprograms machines when necessary. Seeks assistance from Clinical Manager as needed. Notifies Clinical Manager of ongoing equipment issues.
* Responds to physician requests from outside hospital and MD offices. Reviews demographics to guarantee patient match. Prepares paperwork for reader before end of business day to assure continuity of reader and lab activities
* High School diploma or GED required .
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Completion of post-high school ECG course inclusive of medical terminology and patient care training.
* Basic familiarity with computers. Ability to navigate at a basic level within web-based applications.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to read, and write in English in order to understand basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively with patients, families and other medical center staff; and respond to basic questions.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to understand spoken English in order to follow basic safety instructions and take direction from supervisors; communicate effectively in basic English with patients, families and medical center staff in response to routine questions.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices and procedures with the ability to use them in routine situations. Specialized knowledge not required.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to interact respectfully with other employees, professional staff and/or external contacts to offer ideas, identify issues, obtain information or deliver services.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and respond to requests in a timely and respectful manner.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus
The ECG Lab is comprised of ~ 7 ECG Techs, a Senior Tech, 2 Transcriptionists, and the Clinical Manager.
BIDMC is EOE M/F/VET/DISABILITY/GENDER IDENTITY/SEXUAL ORIENTATION
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the linked poster:http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf