ED TREATMENT AREA COORDINATOR - Full-Time Nights
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/15/2016
END DATE 11/19/2016
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
JOB DESCRIPTIONGENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the general direction of the ED Administrative Supervisor, the incumbent provides clerical and reception support functions in Emergency Department. Quick registers patient, coordinates admission and logs discharge of patient from Emergency Department. Answers all telephone calls and responds accordingly. Must be sensitive to patient needs and responsive to medical and nursing staff needs. Receives patients relatives and visitors and directs them to the appropriate individual(s). Effective interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Provides support as needed to all ED staff. Must have excellent customer service and organizational skills. Is expected to train and be competent to cover 7 unique treatment areas with different workflows sand requirements.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PATIENT ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
* Performs Quick Registration. Enters demographic data and obtains medical record number.
* Conducts bedside registration interview. (May entail belongings search for ID if patient is acute)
* Links registration in Patcom to Triage Note in EDIS.
* Prints plates, labels, worksheets, ID Bands
* Stamps lab requisitions and ID band
* Delivers lab requisitions and ID band to patients' rooms
* Places ID band on patient .
* Assigns an Attending M.D. for each patient in EDIS. Places patient in correct bed in EDIS.
* Enters patient data into GE monitoring system
* Advises patients regarding valuables. Secures valuables and documents at patient's request.
* Assembles patient charts, Stamps medical record forms upon patient arrival and places in binder.
* Places forms and/or binder in appropriate chart location.
* Calls ext. 6-2477 to request patient's medical record.
PATIENT TRACKING PROCEDURES
* Reviews treatment area census in EDIS frequently, and updates to ensure accuracy
* Arranges patient transport for tests. Places patient's name on transport board.
BED REQUEST/ASSIGNMENT PROCEDURES - ADMISSION PROCEDURES
* Collects bed request information from clinician.
* Enters bed request information into EDIS to notify Admitting.
* Facilitates communication between Admitting and clinicians regarding bed request questions.
* Monitors EDIS for bed assignment
* Follows up on bed readiness problems or delays.
* Arranges patient transport to inpatient unit. Places patient name on electronic board.
PATIENT DISCHARGE / TRANSFER / DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
* Schedules follow up tests and appointments at request of clinicians.
* Notifies registrar if registration information has not been completed.
* Checks safe and ensures that valuables are returned to patient prior to departure.
* Arranges discharge transportation at direction of clinicians. (taxi, chair car, ambulance, etc.) Ensures that M.D. completes Ambulance Necessity Form.
* For patient transfers to other facilities: photocopies medical record and ensures that Cobra Form is complete and signed. Sends original with patient and files copies with the rest of the discharge paperwork.
* For patient deaths: stamps Report of Death and gives to physician. Enters information in EDIS. Photocopies chart for Medical Examiner and sends to Admitting with MGH medical record. Assists with returning valuables to families.
* Checks and verifies correct Supervising Attending M.D.
* Dismisses patients from EDIS. Enters: Dismissal Disposition, Dismissal Dx, Supervising Attending, Resident, Nurse.
* Dismisses patients from GE monitoring system.
* Processes dismissal paperwork. Stamps all paperwork. Splits, collates, staples, alphabetizes, and files dismissal paperwork.
TELEPHONE / PAGING / VOALTE PROCEDURES
Answers all incoming calls for treatment area. Directs calls or assists callers.
Records and communicates lab results. (stats and panic values)
Uses intercom system and Voalte system for intradepartmental communication.
Initiates pages at request of treatment area staff.
Assists patients with notifying/calling families upon request.
Calls ancillary departments to obtain services.
VISITOR ASSISTANCE FUNCTIONS
* Receives request via intercom for visitor permission from Front Desk Reception.
* Checks with patient's nurse for permission and relays to Front Desk Reception.
* Greets, assists, directs visitors arriving in treatment area.
* May request or instruct visitors to leave at request of treatment area staff.
PATIENT ON CALL TO OR PROCEDURES
* Stamps additional ID band and delivers to patient room.
* Secures and documents patient valuable and belongings or arranges for family to take them.
* Obtains patient chart. Removes paperwork from binder. Stamps paperwork. Detaches originals from 3 part forms. Clips addressograph plate to paperwork.
* Stamps Blood Bank requisitions and arranges for tubing or pick up of blood products.
* Prints additional labels and addressograph plates at request of clinical staff.
* Checks and empties pneumatic tube stations to prevent them from shutting down.
* Uses the Assignment function in EDIS
* Other tasks as directed by the Administrative Supervisor
SUPPLIES / EQUIPMENT / EOC FUNCTIONS
* Orders and stocks specified forms and clerical supplies for treatment area.
* Tracks down and obtains supplies at request of clinical staff.
* Obtains equipment and arranges for equipment replacement/repair at request of clinical staff.
* Pages Environmental Services to clean discharge bays.
* Calls Buildings and Grounds, Network Services, Biomedical Engineering, etc. and arranges for routine immediate maintenance repairs.
* Communicates unresolved supply, equipment, physical plant, safety, etc. issues to Charge Coordinator or Team Lead for follow up.
Associates/Bachelors Degree and prior health care experience preferred.
Incumbents should possess basic computer skills.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
Sound judgment and critical thinking
Ability to prioritize effectively
Ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
Strong organizational and follow-through skills
Accuracy and attention to detail
Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
Strong communication skills
Ability to be flexible and to function within a team environment
Has the Ability to maintain composure in stressful circumstances.
Basic computer skills and/or facility to learn computer skills required for Microsoft Outlook, EPIC, EDIS, etc.
All Full Time incumbents are required to work 2 weekends out of 3 on a rotating schedule.
All incumbents must work up to 6 holidays per year.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.