ELA Assessment Item Writer ($22-$35 per item)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/19/2016
END DATE 2/6/2017
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOSITION NO:
WestEd a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has more than a dozen offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Illinois, Arizona, and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
Based in San Francisco, the Standards, Assessment, and Accountability Services (SAAS) program is involved extensively at the state and national levels in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating standards and assessment tools, methods, and systems. SAAS serves as the test-development contractor for high-stakes assessment programs in several states, and staff perform standards evaluation and alignment studies as well as conduct research on the technical aspects of assessments for general education students and students with special needs. Many staff also work to address broader concerns of the Common Core State Standards initiative or school effectiveness. Our wide range of projects and services spans many domains and content areas, including language arts, mathematics, science, social sciences, the arts, and technology.
The Standards, Assessment, and Accountability Services (SAAS) is seeking qualified individuals who will contribute to the delivery of high-quality products and services in the fields of student assessment. Successful candidates will work directly with WestEd English/Language Arts (ELA) Content Leads and coordination staff on writing assessment items for a variety of projects.
The pay rate of $22 - $35 per item varies based on the type of item and the project.
* Write original and unique ELA assessment items for a variety of WestEd projects. Item types may include selected response, open ended, performance event, and/or technology enhanced.
* Strong consideration will be given to applicants with experience in writing items that are technology enhanced.
Ensure that items meet WestEd writing guidelines and specifications as well as project-specific guidelines.
Create all required metadata fields associated with each item written.
* Create scoring information for rubric-scored item types.
* Develop a deep understanding of provided project materials (standards, item specifications, style guides, etc.).
* Work collaboratively with content leads and coordinators assigned to projects.
* Demonstrate growth and improvement as necessary during item writing cycle for each project.
* Attend kick-off meetings and all trainings for each project.
* Degree in ELA or related field (Master s Degree preferred, but not required)
* Strong ELA content knowledge, specifically for grades 2 high school (English Language Learner content knowledge and experience preferred, but not required)
* Solid, demonstrated experience with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and their application to assessments
* Teaching experience or a background in ELA
* Large-scale assessment development experience
* Excellent writing and editing skills
* Strong literary analysis skills, critical thinking skills, and creativity
* Ability to meet deadlines within tight timelines
* Ability to follow detailed rules, guidelines, and processes for writing and editing assessment items
* Experience developing technology-enhanced items
* Strong communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to work successfully within a team environment
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and security of all testing materials and content per WestEd and project-specific guidelines
* Ability to receive and act upon feedback and review
* Ability to communicate and send files via email and the Internet
* Ability to learn and work with a variety of web-based organizational and editorial systems
ELA Assessment Item Writers must have:
* Consistent access to high-speed Internet for email and WestEd s web-based file sharing system.
* Facility with Microsoft Office Suite of products, including Word and Excel.
Candidates must be willing to submit a sample set of items for review. [Note: Sample sets are only required to be submitted if candidate is contacted directly by WestEd staff following review of resumes. Candidates do not need to submit a sample set at time of online application.]
We invite you to Apply for this Position.
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the online application process, please call 415.615.3131. Please leave a message and a member of our Human Resources team will return your call within three business days. Alternatively, you may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Applicant Accommodation" in the subject line of the email. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals with a disability who would like to request an accommodation to apply for a job. If you are not an individual with a disability and have a question or comment, please email email@example.com.
730 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
WestEd is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veterans status or other status protected by applicable law.