EMI Lab Manager 8/16/2016
National Technical Systems
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY NTS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
"At NTS we believe our success comes from enduring, value-added relationships with our clients and our employees. We believe that the utilization of best practices delivered by a motivated and prepared workforce will allow us to provide awesome customer service and achieve the financial success all of our stakeholders deserve. "
NTS is constantly looking for the best technical talent for positions at our offices and laboratories located throughout the US, Canada, Europe and Asia. The NTS culture is one that treats each employee as a key part of the puzzle that makes us who we are.
Start today! Use our Job Search feature below to review current openings and submit your resume today. Thank you for your interest, we look forward to speaking with you!
If a disability prevents you from applying for a job through the NTS Jobs Opportunities page, please email us. No other requests will be acknowledged. EEO M/F/D/V
JOB OPENING - EMI LAB MANAGER
Reference ID: CHIEMILM2016
Title: EMI Lab Manager
Location: Chicago, IL
Position Type: Permanent
NTS in Chicago (suburb of Mount Prospect), IL is seeing an EMI Lab Manager (Electromagnetic Interference). In this leadership opportunity, you will be responsible for kicking off EMC operations in a brand new facility, building your team, and determining equipment needs for the lab. The end goal is to create and supervise a well trained staff of seasoned test technicians and engineers providing EMI qualification test services to NTS customers. As the EMI lab manager, you will be responsible for maintaining all laboratory accreditations, including the oversight of all related equipment calibrations, employee training records, and inspection metrics. You will be relied upon as the resident subject matter expert (SME) in all major industry related core competencies (Automotive, Defense, Aerospace, Telecom, Medical, and CE marking) and will be responsible for implementing and maintaining Lean management and 6S tools to ensure project quality, safety, security, and profitability goals are met. Maintaining the test lab schedule is also a critical aspect of the lab manager s position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Safety insure that all personnel abide by NTS and OSHA safety practices. Also insure that all test equipment is operated in accordance with manufacturer s instructions, and all equipment hazards have the proper guarding or personnel protection installed.
* Leading the team in the creation of test setups and modular systems to allow for efficient testing to all of our core standards.
* Along with your EMC lab team, perform testing to build revenue and expand the lab.
* Ensuring that all testing is being performed in accordance with approved test procedures accurately-
* Maintain and present pareto data to management detailing corrective actions to address production/equipment mishaps
* Maintaining training records for each test technician (first and second shift).
* Ensuring that untrained technicians are supervised by a qualified person when performing any R&D and qualification tests.
* Periodically evaluating a technician s ability to perform tests unsupervised.
* Ensuring that all testing is being performed efficiently and on time-
* Routinely checking the status of each test being conducted to prevent excessive delays due to equipment, software, and setup glitches.
* Performance of analysis of quoted versus actual hours with feedback to either Sales or Production for possible corrective action.
* Ensuring that technicians are starting, and ending daily works schedules on time, and observing specified lunch and break times accordingly.
* Ensuring that technicians are requesting pre and post inspections in a timely fashion.
* Ensuring that all traveler documents are filled out in a timely fashion
* Constantly strive to improve the test process by updating workbooks, TILE profiles, and local standard operating procedures.
* Ensuring that data folders are handed into publications in a manner that supports the 10 report delivery goal.
* Performing technician surveys to find out what specific training the 1st and eventually 2nd shift technicians are looking for (equipment, test methods, admin, etc.)
* Maintaining a sick time and vacation schedule for the EMI test scheduler.
* Knowing who is in, and who is out on a daily basis, and working with the department scheduler on coordination of tech coverage as needed.
* Providing a strong presence on the lab floor.
* Greeting every customer that enters the EMI test lab, and letting them know they can contact you with any technical or observational concerns including any safety, security restrictions which may be occurring during their visit.
* Maintaining and promoting cleanliness in the Lab. Assignment of cleaning responsibilities for each chamber/technician.
* Maintaining a solid understanding of all activities occurring on both first shift and eventually a second shift
* Knowing the status of each job being performed in the EMI lab at all times.
* Suggesting/arranging recovery plan to maintain original customer schedule when delays are incurred.
* Determining the cause for any project delays (customer, technician, equipment, etc.)
* Generating and providing detailed status reports of all test activities at production meetings.
* Clearly stating to PA s, PE s, Customers, and scheduling personnel where projected resource conflicts exist. Primarily due to jobs not being completed on time, projections of the potential lab schedule conflicts should be maintained 3 days in advance.
* Strategies for avoiding overbooked situations must be identified, and discussed with all parties prior to the scheduling conflict. (i.e., pulling the customer out of the test chamber, not performing work on a particular job for that day, pushing out test schedules, etc.).
* Must be eligible work in the US without sponsorship and able to pass a drug test and DMV and background check
* BS degree in a technical field from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 4 years of experience in EMI/EMC testing, with a primary focus on Commercial, Automotive, MIL-STD 461 or RTCA DO160 testing experience OR we will accept 5+ years of experience in EMI/EMC testing, with a primary focus on Commercial, Automotive, MIL-STD 461 or RTCA DO160 testing in lieu of a degree
* A minimum of 2 5 years experience in managing or supervising an EMI/EMC test lab with 2 or more direct reports
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Team player with strong work ethic
* High level of creativity, innovation and able to think outside the box
* Able to work successfully in a fast paced environment
* Must be able to work in an RF environment, with moderate exposure to high voltages
* NARTE Certification Preferred
It is the policy of NTS to offer Equal Employment Opportunity to all individuals without regards to race, creed, ancestry, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, national origin, physical disabilities, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions. This policy applies to all personnel actions including hiring, promotions, compensation, training, layoffs, recalls, and terminations. EEO M/F/D/V