FULL TIME POSITION
General Description of Position:
The purpose of the position is to direct the administrative and operational management of the Department of Emergency Medical Services. The position is responsible for Emergency Medical Services research, planning, staffing, budgeting, policy and procedures, evaluation and reporting of departmental activities. The position plans, organizes and implements programs within major organizational policies; reports the progress of major activities to executive level administrators through reports and conferences.
Essential Functions of the Position:
* Supervises staff which includes but is not limited to: selecting employees, training, assigning and evaluating work, counseling, disciplining and recommending termination if necessary.
* Develops and approves all medical protocols and safety regulation policies and procedures.
* Researches federal and state policy and advances in medical technology and techniques to identify and implement improvements in emergency medical services for the County
* Coordinates and cooperates with emergency communications, law enforcement personnel, volunteers and other public and private agencies concerning emergency medical services needs for the County.
* Conducts ongoing staff planning and developmental meetings to review policies and procedures and ensures compliance with safety regulations.
* Primarily responsible for an on-going evaluation of all facets of emergency medical services; analyzes data and implements changes and improvement as necessary and/or required
* Prepares proposed annual budget. Oversees expenditures within limits and maintains efficiencies in business practices.
* Investigates citizen complaints and coordinates appropriate action with other personnel and participating departments.
* Responds to emergency scenes; Assumes command as required and/or needed
* Responsible for overseeing maintenance of equipment and inventories of supplies and materials
* Prepares annual budget
* Prepares documentation to support specifications of new equipment, facilities and fixtures.
* Attends and/or conducts staff meetings to exchange information; Attends or conducts in-service training and technical or professional level classes, seminars or conferences to improve technical or professional skills for self and for staff.
* Responsible for overseeing the gathering and maintenance of information to support periodic and special reports documenting EMS activities and events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for the Position:
Requires the ability to plan and to direct others in the sequence of major administrative and operational activities and will be required to report on department operations and activities in detail and broad scope. Requires the ability to negotiate, exchange ideas, information and opinions with others and to formulate policy and programs and to obtain a consensus on decisions, conclusions or solutions for services provided to the community.
Requires demonstrated knowledge to interpret policy and to establish methods and procedures for acquiring, installing, testing, operating or repairing complex machinery or equipment that requires extensive training and experience such as rescue vehicles, medical equipment, electronic telecommunications equipment and data information systems. Experience in the application of custom or commercial medical, financial, accounting, administrative or other complex software or systems.
Requires performing administrative level work which involves the application of principles of logical thinking and medical and professional practices to diagnose or define problems, collection of dat