Electrical Engineer III-VHF
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
Las Cruces, NM
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Electrical Engineer III-VHFJob ID:
Electrical Engineer III-VHF Req ID#:
Las Cruces, NMJob Description Harris, Inc., is the prime Space Communications Network Services (SCNS) contractor for NASA with personnel located at the White Sands Complex (WSC) near Las Cruces, New Mexico, the Wallops Flight Facility (WFF) in Wallops Island, VA and in Greenbelt, MD. The NASA Near Earth Network (NEN) has a presence at WSC to operate and maintain S-band, Ka-band, and VHF antenna systems. These systems support spacecraft science mission Telemetry, Tracking, and Command (TT&C) services. The VHF systems support voice links to the International Space Station (ISS) and Soyuz vehicles in support of ISS. The McMurdo TDRS Relay System (MTRS) has dedicated NEN equipment located at WSC that facilitates data transport from McMurdo, Antarctica through the NASA Space Network (SN) to the customer. The selected candidate for this position will report to Harris NEN management at Wallops Island, VA for tasking, and coordinate with WSC SCNS personnel as necessary. The primary responsibility of this position is to support the VHF systems at WSC. Since the NEN presence at WSC is small, the candidate must be a self-starter, capable of working without direct supervision, and a willingness to learn and assist with other NEN assets located at WSC. The candidate will follow NEN procedures for operations, maintenance, configuration management, and documentation.Specifically, this individual will:* Provide sustaining engineering and maintenance support for the NASA ISS/VHF Ground Stations which provide contingency voice communications between Johnson Space Center and the International Space Station. The ground stations are located at WSC, Wallops Island, VA, and Armstrong Research Center in CA.
* Assist in the development, start-up and continued operation of a depot maintenance facility that will support multiple NASA VHF ground stations.
* Apply electrical, electronic and mechanical principles to components and systems, including assembly, analysis, and documentation of results; construction of developmental assemblies, sub-assemblies and components; and quality testing. Support and participate in the design, test, modification, fabrication and assembly of prototype electromechanical systems.
* Develop Engineering Change documentation to install new equipment and/or modify existing site baseline configurations to meet the needs of the customer.* Develop Engineering Test Plans to install new equipment and/or modify existing site baseline configurations to verify designs prior to final implementation.
* Work closely with the VHF Technical Lead to ensure that technical, budget and schedule requirements are met through new or modified designs
* Ensure that system documentation is updated to accurately reflect the new configuration baseline.* Identify obsolescence issues and work with the VHF Technical Lead to identify and implement new solutions.Requirements* Bachelor's Degree in Science, Math, Engineering and 6+ years of related experience.
* Experience with and fundamental understanding of antennas and radio communications, including:* FM modulation
* FM demodulation
* Antenna feed lines
* Antenna phasing harnesses
* Antenna tuning
* VHF diplexers
* VHF high power amplifiers
* Antenna positioner
* RF testing and characterization experience.
* Experience with I/O interfacing and serial communication protocols.
* Experience with 4-wire voice lines.
* Proficient in the use of general purpose test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, network analyzers, communication test sets, signal generators, etc.
* Proficient with Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools and the Microsoft Office suite.
* Candidate must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as routine technical reports and briefings are delivered to senior contract and NASA management.
* This position requires the candidate to be able to obtain a secret security clearance. In order to obtain a clearance you need to be a US Citizen and show proof of citizenship.Desired Experience and Qualifications* VHF ground station engineering experience
* Amateur Radio / FCC license
* Basic Networking knowledge, familiar with Open System Interconnection (OSI) Model
* Understanding of IT Security principles and processes. (System Hardening, Auditing)Harris is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law. By submitting your rsum for this position, you understand and agree that Harris Corporation may share your rsum, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.Job Profile Matching Criteria:Expertise --Electrical Education Bachelors (or equivalent work experience) Job Type Full Time Location USA - NM - Las Cruces .