Electrical Engineer* 8/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Code: #3607
Title: Electrical Engineer*
Date Posted: 08/17/2016
Job Location: Lexington Massachusetts
POST-OFFER BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED
Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain a Security Clearance for access to classified information.
The Optical Communications Technology Group develops advanced laser communications technology for use in a wide range of challenging environments including terrestrial, space and underwater applications. Primary areas of research include the development of sensitive, single-photon detector arrays, coherent modems, integrated photonic circuits, and novel modulation and coding approaches. Using these technologies, the group conducts research and development for a wide range of space, airborne, and terrestrial system applications, including terabit-per-second direct-to-Earth small-satellite constellations, near-Earth wideband relay laser communication terminal hardware, and next-generation beam-director prototypes inherently scalable to deep-space systems.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Group is seeking an electrical engineer to assist in the development and testing of digital circuit boards for advanced laser communications modems. The engineer will be involved in all aspects of testing, troubleshooting, and documenting complex, high-reliability digital circuit boards for space applications. Specific skills required are detailed below.
* BS with at least 10 years of directly related experience.
* Understanding of basic circuit design (theory behind resistors, capacitors, inductors, etc.).
* Must be able to quantitatively analyze simple RLC networks.
* Past experience testing and debugging electronic boards.
* Experience working in an optical communication lab, with an understanding of basic digital communication concepts like clock synchronization, bit error rate and an understanding of optical test equipment like oscilloscopes, lasers, photodetectors, optical amplifiers, and power meters.
* Ability to read data sheets, especially with respect to analyzing issues, including GIDEP alerts.
* Experience working with Xilinx Virtex 5 FPGAs and Xilinx programming tools.
* Familiarity with IPC 6012 (all recent versions), especially Class 3 and Class 3/A and amendments regarding the required workmanship for construction of high-reliability circuit boards for aerospace applications.
* Knowledge of integrated circuit (IC) package lead-forming specifications.
* Proficiency with Altium (printed circuit-board design software). Required abilities include maintaining schematic and symbol libraries, proofreading and editing schematics, importing designs into layout tools, editing layouts, and generating fabrication and assembly files (schematic PDFs, BOMs, Gerbers/ODB++, NC drill, etc.). Must be proficient with at least Altium Designer Summer 09 and Altium Designer 15.
* Knowledge of space-qualified connectors, especially micro-D and nano-D connectors, including familiarity with vendor offerings and awareness of allowed/disallowed materials. Knowledge of space-qualified high-speed RF cables.
* EMI compliance testing experience. Familiarity with MIL-STD-461, particularly MIL-STD-461C. Experience testing compliance for MIL-STD-461C / CS06. Experience supporting tests for other conducted-emissions and radiated-emissions tests.
* Past experience and/or certification for working on Class 0 ESD-sensitive electronics.
* Past experience writing and executing official test procedures, maintaining revisions on test procedures. Past experience writing and maintaining the following official documents for external transfer: Circuit board fabrication drawings, circuit board assembly drawings, and bills of material (BOMs).
* Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
* Familiarity with Windows desktop environment and Linux. Must be comfortable with command-line Bash shell.
* Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance
* Familiarity with polymer processes for high-reliability printed circuit boards in vacuum environments, including low-outgassing adhesives and conformal coating.
* Familiarity with AutoCAD and Creo Elements/Direct.
* Ability to generate Word and PowerPoint documents for internal meetings.
* Ability to present documents at internal meetings.
* Candidates with active Secret clearance preferred
WORKING LOCATIONS & ADDITIONAL INFO
* Location: Lexington, Ma
* Travel: Non-Anticipated
* Other: All candidates must also successfully pass a Commercial Background Investigation (CBI).
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran.
Additional BenefitsTuition Assistance
Health care off-set
Short and Long Term Disability