Electrical Engineer 8/25/2016
united staffing group
Saint Paul, MN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION SPECIFICATION
POSITION Electrical Engineer - Industrial
LOCATION St. Paul, MN
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP Reports to Senior Project Manager, Industrial
Established in 1996 to make a difference in the way infrastructure and processing projects are delivered. We employ a highly trained staff of engineers, technicians and managers who execute projects with the same care and creativity we would expect if we were the client. We are ISO 9001 - 2008 Certified and located in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and North Dakota with a team of more than 90 professionals.
The Electrical Engineer plays a key role in the successful execution of projects. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, Industrial, this individual will provide technical and engineering excellence, as well as successful delivery of work to our customers. The Electrical Engineer is responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are clearly communicated and managed - both externally and internally. The successful candidate will also contribute to a dynamic team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly to all stakeholders, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment. This person will also actively support the business development process, through the writing of proposals and meeting with prospective and current customers.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Designs one or more of the following: power distribution systems (primary requirement), size motor feeders and starters.
* Prepares engineering documents and equipment specifications to meet contracted scope of work and to ensure application of Electrical Engineering Principles.
* Possesses a basic understanding of Electrical, Mechanical, Civil and Structural Engineering construction practices.
* Has strong knowledge of Codes (e.g. NEC, NFPA, IBC, Life Safety Code, etc.).
* Designs building power and lighting systems. Includes the design of special systems, such as ground fault, lightning protection, engine-generator, UPS, etc.
* Perform voltage drop and short-circuit calculations. Perform arc fault analysis.
* Generate electrical schedules (panelboards, motors, electrical fixtures).
* Develops estimates for assigned scope of work, and is accountable for ensuring we stay within scope.
* Creates project plan and schedule for execution of work.
* May serve as project manager for complete projects, when assigned.
* Supports the business development process through input to proposals, meeting and interviewing with prospective customers, etc.
* Provides work direction to other team members, including subcontractors, as assigned.
* Approves final equipment selections and drawing submittals.
* Provides technical and engineering support to other departments/disciplines.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will have a pragmatic and applied approach, while at the same time bringing a creative examination of customer needs and solutions.
The successful candidate will have strong electrical design experience across a variety of industries and processes. This person will have strong interpersonal skills to enable effective interaction with Designers, Engineers and Project Managers. This person will also possess strong communication skills, and influencing skills, and has demonstrated the maturity and self confidence to work with colleagues and customers. The level of seasoning we are looking for likely comes with a minimum of 5-8 years of experience following graduation.
The successful candidate will be naturally collaborative, and possess the ability to assimilate a range of ideas, programs or alternatives into a set of recommendations. This person will be self-directed, but thrive in an environment where consultation leads to superior outcomes.
Additional qualifications the successful candidate will possess include:
* Effective meeting management skills.
* Strong attention to detail.
* Adaptable and agile, responsive to quick changes in direction.
* Ability to establish rapport and credibility with customers and other stakeholders.
KEY PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS
UNDERSTANDING THE BUSINESS
Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job. our Mission, Vision and processes. Learns new methods and technologies easily.
Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshalling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
FOCUSING ON ACTION AND OUTCOMES
Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
FOCUSING ON THE CUSTOMER
Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Creates systems and processes that make it easy for customers to do business with the company. Ensures that customer issues are resolved.
Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
Ensures that proposals or arguments are supported by strong logic and a compelling business case, addressing all relevant factors. Identifies the agendas, concerns, and motivations of others.
Treats people with respect; relates well to people regardless of their organization level, personality, or background. Encourages others to express their views, even those contrary to current thinking.
Bachelors' degree in Electrical Engineering and a Professional Engineering registration in
Minnesota are highly desired. P.E. registration in other states is desirable but not required. Note that we would be open to considering someone who does not currently have their P.E. designation, provided he/she was committed to securing it within 2 years.
Recognizing the importance of this position. A competitive salary and benefits package will be offered.