Emerg Svcs Dept Sec/Tech PRN
Job Code: 00035-34572
As one of the largest facilities in the nation s largest hospital system (HCA), Chippenham Hospital provides the full scope of healthcare services. With 466 beds, we specialize in heart care at the Levinson Heart Hospital and emotional and mental health services through the Tucker Pavilion. Our ER is also a state-authorized Level II trauma center and we offer Central Virginia s only Pediatric ER staffed 24/7 by pediatric-trained ER nurse and physician specialists.
SPECIFIC ELEMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs various patient care activities necessary in caring for the personal needs and comfort of patients.
2. Gives direct, selected nursing care under the supervision of the Registered Nurse.
3. Assist in the smooth, efficient functioning of the nursing unit including transcription of medical orders, scheduling of procedures/testing, obtaining/maintaining supplies and equipment and general clerical duties including use of computer systems.
4. Transports, positions and drapes patients for exams and treatments.
5. Takes and records vital signs, weights and I&O.
6. Responsible for stocking rooms with supplies.
7. Provides encouragement, support and comfort to patients and family members.
8. Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
9. Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
10. Orients and mentors new staff members.
11. Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
Associates Degree in a related field (preferred)
High School Graduate or equivalent (required)
American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Health Care Provider (required)
At least 1 year of experience in an administrative, secretarial or clerical role
1 year of experience in a healthcare setting (preferred)
Working knowledge of medical terminology
Customer service abilities including effective listening skills
Ability to quickly make decisions to report patient condition with minimal supervision
Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds
Last Edited: 09/01/2016