Engineer V (Sr. R&D Mechanical Engineer)
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/31/2016
END DATE 10/16/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description
The Digital Biology Group of Bio-Rad Laboratories is focused on the application of Droplet Digital technology to the life science and clinical diagnostics markets. Bio-Rad leads the emerging digital PCR market with our QX200 droplet digital PCR platform. The Sr. R&D Mechanical Engineer position will work with engineers, chemists, and molecular biologists to develop integrated mechanical, chemical and fluidic systems to expand Bio-Rad s instrument portfolio and continue to revolutionize biological research and healthcare.
The breadth of work will span the product development cycle, from initial design concepts through transfer into production. The Sr. R&D Mechanical Engineer will also assist in improving existing product lines and development of lab equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* With support of the team, will conceive, design, build, and evaluate a range of design concepts.
* Act as mechanical design support for advanced research staff.
* Act as design lead to develop designs in line with design for manufacture (DFM) and design for service (DFS) principles.
* Design necessary fixtures and tooling to support testing or manufacture of subsystems.
* Create documentation, including, mechanical drawings, assembly procedures, test plans, presentations, test reports, in support of design efforts.
* Define and communicate basic theory of operations for systems in development.
* Source and procure prototype parts and components.
* Support the release of production worthy design files into Bio-Rad s document control system.
* Transfer R&D s methods to manufacturing in preparation for production.
The ideal candidate will have specific experience with the following:
* Machine Design
* Mechanism Design
* Actuators, electric and pneumatic
* Control components for flow, position, pressure, force, and temperature
* Machined plastic and metal components
* Sheet metal fabricated components
* Elastomeric components
* Custom PCBs
* Injection molded plastic components
* Optical components
* Fluidic manifolds and components
* Pneumatic manifolds and components
* Electrical connectors and cables
* BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree.
* Ten years of design and development experience.
* Expert level understanding of machine design and basic mechatronics knowledge.
* Proficient with 3D CAD modeling; SolidWorks experience preferred.
* Excellent drafting skills with good knowledge of GD&T standards.
* Familiar with the capabilities and limitations of a variety of fabrication techniques (e.g. machining, plastic injection molding, vacuum forming, sheet metal, stamping).
* Proficient with basic standard concepts and constraints involved in creating new product designs.
* Knowledge of modern methods for making prototype or production parts.
* Ability to adhere to project schedules.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
To all recruitment agencies: Bio-Rad does not accept agency resumes, unless the agency has been authorized by a Bio-Rad Staffing Representative. Please do not submit resumes unless authorized to do so. Bio-Rad will not pay for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.