Engineering Management Trainee Program
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/24/2016
END DATE 10/17/2016
Saint Paul, MN
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) is a transcontinental railway in the United States and Canada with direct links to eight major ports providing North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of Canadian Pacific.
Are you looking for an exciting career change or ready to apply your railroad experience and education with an opportunity to showcase your excellent interpersonal skills and drive for results? The CP Engineering Management Trainee Program may be perfect for you!
The CP Engineering Management Trainee Program may be a great next step for you and your career. We are looking for highly motivated individuals willing to learn and develop their leadership skills; to develop and lead highly effective teams to consistently deliver expected operation results.
This is a front-line leadership role at Canadian Pacific; aligned with CP's foundations, company goals and vision. The successful management trainee will lead a diverse workgroup to safely and efficiently accomplish work assignments, drive continuous improvement and balance the operational requirements with team and employee development.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The purpose of the CP Engineering Management Trainee program is to find the right individual with the right leadership mindset and experience to take on leadership roles. We will expose the trainee to various operational and support groups to learn various aspects of the business by moving through the organization, and taking on progressively more responsibility. Your career will start with a 6 month, fully paid training program. Upon completion the individual will be prepared for their initial challenging and exciting front-line management position with the Engineering department.
The program begins with a two to three week introduction to CP and Program Overview. During this time, the Management Trainees will receive an in-depth company overview, begin working with a chosen mentor, begin leadership training and interact with key company leaders and executives. Following this period, the Trainee will complete four to six weeks of Operations Immersion; completing Manager Conductor Training and spending time in the field with various leaders across the network. The management trainee will then begin field placement in T&E, ES or Mechanical, to develop understanding and linkages to other key areas of the business. Prior to graduation in the program, the trainee will work with peers and managers from other departments on continuous improvement projects both as a participant and as a leader. As well, reinforcement of leadership skills and CP's leadership training will be completed prior to the final step and presentation of an offer for a supervisory position.
The overall objective is to have the Trainee, using the experiences and education they bring to the Trainee position, learn best practices in leadership, railroading, management of railroad terminal operations; work on specific continuous improvement projects; manage both union and non-union employees and prepare for a successful career in management starting with a supervisory position in Engineering.
* Maintaining a positive attitude and approach to learning; demonstrating quick application of those learnings;
* Completing orientation with employees and supervisors, as well as performing supervisor duties;
* Undertaking training in orientation into safety, leadership, railroad operating systems and applications;
* Completing the required technical training;
* Job shadowing and project participation with other Departments/Groups, and leaders from Operations, Mechanical, and Engineering;
* Receiving feedback from mentor and various managers throughout the program to ensure successful outcome;
* Conduct active, ongoing review of feedback; review of learnings and application of those learnings;
* Performing projects assigned by the SVP of Operations.
* Proven interpersonal skills and motivation to lead others is required;
* Previous supervisory experience in heavy industry (transportation, logistics, supply chain management, military, airlines, mining, manufacturing, etc.) is an asset;
* Engineering candidates must have strong leadership skills, an ability and desire to work in the field and lead a diverse group of unionized employees;
* Civil or Construction Engineering degree is required;
* Authorization to work in the US without Company sponsorship;
* Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays;
* Ability to relocate within the CP network to start and/or upon career progression and/or business need;
* Valid Driver's License;
* Demonstrate the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above;
* Demonstrate leadership skills;
* Act as a positive role model in a group; work effectively with others;
* Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner;
* Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines;
* Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations;
* Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills.
Program location will take place throughout the CP US System.
RELOCATION MAY BE REQUIRED for final placement in a managerial position for the successful management trainee. The candidate can be relocated to any location across the CP system.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
* Flexible and competitive benefits package
* Completive company pension plan
* Employee Share Purchase Plan
* Performance Incentive Program
* Annual Fitness Subsidy
CP is committed to the safety and health of its employees and the general public. This position is considered a safety critical position; all new hires will be required to complete a pre-employment medical evaluation that includes a vision, hearing, drug screening and pre-employment physical.
Drug Test Elements:
All new hires are required to undergo a drug screen. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CP safe and drug free.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
* Criminal history check
* Education verification
* Last 3 years of driving history
* Social Security number verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, inclusive of protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.