This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/18/2016
END DATE 12/1/2016
Under minimal supervision, provides technical leadership in all laboratory and testing issues within areas of responsibility. Uses or directs the use of complicated equipment where there may be no published requirements. This includes setting up and performing tests that involve unique features and the use of independent judgment. May plan tests, evaluate test results and report opinions and interpretations. May assist PDEs and/or Engineering to modify existing methods or develop and validate new test methods. Develops operating, and test procedures. Trains and assists others in the laboratory, and performs other duties as directed. Assists in scheduling, assigning, reviewing and coordinating workflow to assure proper utilization of staff. May also supervise staff as directed.
* Examines test samples and reads measuring instruments, blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams, and operational instructions. Develops operating, maintenance, and test procedures based on laboratory procedures, standards and safety policies. Assists in scheduling, assigning, reviewing and coordinating workflow to assure proper utilization of staff. Directs the daily activities of designated staff. Advises supervisor on staffing levels, performance appraisals and merit ratings of staff.
* Designs, adapts or directs the building of test setups and equipment to new situations, based on analysis of test specifications and engineering department requests and instructions. Prepares purchase and material requisitions. Recommends solutions to observed test problems.
* Performs routine maintenance of designated test equipment and laboratory area. Operates with minimal supervision within defined limits of responsibility.
* Communicates with engineering personnel to receive instructions, convey data and determine equipment availability and with clients during test setup and performance to demonstrate or otherwise illustrate equipment test methods and/or discuss test results. May communicate with UL field representatives to discuss follow-up tests, samples, equipment, methods and/or results.
* Communicates with plant department personnel to offer suggestions pertinent to equipment needs and to arrange for delivery of samples from receiving dock.
* Records observed or calculated data on appropriate UL forms and prepares data sheets and reports. Develops training seminars and may assist in training laboratory staff.
* Plans tests, evaluates test results and reports opinions and interpretations. May assist PDEs and/or Engineering to modify existing methods or develop and validate new test methods.
* Assists in developing annual budgetary goals, capital expenditure budget for laboratory equipment, and tactical plans for the assigned laboratory section.
* Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
* Performs other duties as directed.
* Some University education in Engineering or a related discipline plus three to four years directly related experience required.
* Welding, fabrication, and rigging experience required. 3G Welding certificate strongly preferred.
* Fenestration experience a plus.
* Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects while maintaining high quality and exceptional customer service. Strong communication and client-interfacing skills.
* Demonstrated ability to successfully partner with Engineering and other Laboratory Personnel to complete projects in a timely manner with high quality.
* Demonstrated ability to analyze special testing needs.
* Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor more junior laboratory staff.
* Ability to travel for business.
* Ability to lift 50+ lbs unassisted.