Enterprise Backup Engineer I
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/17/2016
END DATE 10/25/2016
San Antonio, TX
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Description
The Enterprise Backup Engineer I - (ESE I-Backup) is a strategic position providing the expert level of technical skill and expertise in Backup Engineering. The ESE I -- Backup is responsible for developing and maintaining the enterprise architecture, perform analyses and make recommendations relating to technical, systems and process solution architectures, migration strategies, and IT investment strategies. Responsibilities include managing technology and data architectures, developing data administration and project standards, defining the enterprise standards, best practices and ensuring availability and quality of information of all enterprise systems.
Day to day activities include, analysis, design, development, implementation, support and documentation functions for hardware and applications utilized within the CHRISTUS IT environment to include all aspects of system monitoring, system administration, performance tuning, documentation, installation and troubleshooting any issues related to the above technologies. The position also works as part of a cross-functional team that deals with the full spectrum of technology and will fulfill the role of third level support for storage technologies, providing training and direction to other technical staff that perform the bulk of the first and second level support tasks.
- Strategy & Planning -- Plans and coordinates the future state of the backup infrastructure for CHRISTUS information management. Designs backup solutions that meet the information system vision and strategy of the organization; plans, prioritizes, and manages projects, service requests, and routine assignments.
- System Engineering -- Assist in the analysis of backup configurations for critical corporate resources; evaluates changes and additions for proposed system acquisitions and provides critical input to the decision-making process relative to integration, operations, cost, resource requirements, and maintenance; develops plans and recommendations to improve the performance and efficiency of the backup architecture; addresses all aspects including hardware, software, outside services, etc.; prevents unplanned disruptions.
- System Integration -- Integrates backup components, subsystems, and facilities into the existing technical environment; assesses backup systems interoperability, configuration, operational recoverability and impact on other systems; installs, configures, and verifies the operation of backup components; maintains or improves integration and operation of systems relative to the overall environment; leads or participates as team member in cross-system projects.
- System Management -- Implements, and oversees a proactive process to collect and report data and statistics on the backup environment; ensures the systems operate efficiently and meet the needs of the organization; ensures they are kept at most current stable version/release using vendor-supplied updates and patches; performs research and testing to verify impact of installing all updates; coordinates vendor support and ensures relationship is never jeopardized; monitors performance of all assigned systems, responds to reports of slow, erratic performance or failed backup jobs; provides training to IM associates and clients as needed.
- Training & Certification - Maintains in-depth knowledge and current certification in backup technologies including but not limited to the backup hardware, virtualization, and advanced recovery.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or related field or equivalent experience (6 years) required.
- Expert knowledge of industry practices and technical systems and a solid understanding of the potential user of technology solutions in a business environment.
- Background in EMC Networker, EMC Data Domain, and Recover Point.
- Expert understanding of maintaining backup deployment software, configuration management software and advanced recovery of systems.
- Technical knowledge of PC's, Networks and other Operating Systems
- Technical knowledge of supporting Hardware including Intel, Cisco and SAN / NAS environments
- A total of six (6) years of experience in large corporate systems environment with a wide variety of Information Management systems, networks and technologies required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in enterprise backup administration or engineering
- Prior experience in a health care systems environment is a plus.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- One or more of the following certifications recommended:
- MCSA, EMC EMCBA, EMCSA, or VCA-DCV