Enterprise Technical / Infrastructure Architect 8/12/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY JOB OVERVIEW
Performs the leadership, facilitation, analysis and design tasks required for the development of an enterprise infrastructure architecture
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
* Analyze enterprise business context (trends and business strategy), as well as change requirements in other enterprise architecture (EA) viewpoints, to derive the enterprise infrastructure architecture future state. This includes defining the requirements, principles and models that guide technology decisions for the enterprise.
* Define high-level migration plans to address the gaps between the current and future state, typically in sync with the IT budgeting or other capital planning processes.
* Lead the analysis of the current technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement. In addition, lead the analysis of technology industry and market trends to determine their potential impact on the enterprise as well as on the enterprise infrastructure architecture.
* Assist with designing the governance activities associated with ensuring enterprise infrastructure architecture compliance.
* Oversee or consult on technology implementation and modification activities (for example, projects), particularly for new or shared infrastructure solutions. Consult on application or infrastructure development projects to harmonize systems or infrastructure with the enterprise infrastructure architecture, and identify when it is necessary to modify the enterprise infrastructure architecture to accommodate immediate or future project needs.
* Oversee and facilitate the research, evaluation and selection of hardware and software technology and product standards, as well as the design of standard configurations.
* Identify the organizational impact (for example, on skills, processes, structures and culture) and financial impact of the enterprise infrastructure architecture.
* Document necessary enterprise infrastructure architecture design and analysis work, possibly including project postmortem documentation and metric collection.
* Define metrics to measure and demonstrate enterprise infrastructure architecture value.
* Understand, advocate and augment the business and IT strategies -- and, more specifically, EA development and service delivery. Be prepared to "sell" the EA process (overall, not just for enterprise infrastructure architecture), its outcome and ongoing results, and to lead the communication or marketing activities needed to ensure enterprise infrastructure architecture success and use.
PRIMARY WORK ARRANGEMENTS
* This role will report directly to the chief architect.
* This role will virtually leverage subject matter experts from any needed technical area.
* This role will collaborate with business constituents, other EA team members, project teams and staff in various IT functional areas as needed to fulfill the responsibilities described above.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, system analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
* Minimum of five years of design and implementation experience in IT, with a deep knowledge in a minimum of two of the following technical disciplines: network design, application development, middleware, servers and storage, database management, and operations
* Exposure to multiple, diverse technical configurations, technologies and processing environments
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
* Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation
* Strong leadership skills
* Excellent analytical and technical skills
* Strong written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent planning and organizational skills
* Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations
* Ability to estimate the financial impact of enterprise infrastructure architecture alternatives
* Ability to apply multiple technical solutions to business problems
* Ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
* Knowledge of many, if not most, aspects of an enterprise infrastructure architecture
* Knowledge of information principles and processes
* Basic knowledge of financial models and budgeting
* Understanding of network and security architecture
* Understanding of the political climate of the enterprise, and how to respond to political challenges
KEY BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES
* Demonstrated ability to work well with others and be respected as a leader
* Track record for remaining unbiased toward any specific technology or vendor; and being more interested in results than personal preferences
* Capable of being extroverted and collaborative
* Motivation that is focused on long-term results