Ethnographic Market Researcher
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/6/2016
END DATE 12/19/2016
Located in Oakland's Jack London Square, A3 Innovation Labs was established to create, prioritize and build new business opportunities that anticipate or shape market and customer disruptions in and beyond the Auto/Mobility, Home and Leisure business space.
As the Ethnographic Market Researcher, you will be an integral part of an agile innovation and entrepreneurial team charged with developing, incubating and launching a portfolio of businesses that: Embrace key megatrends, disruptive technologies and business models; Are collectively capable of generating ~$400+ million in revenue during the next 10years; and, Leverage the privileged assets, resources and distinctive capabilities of a physically and operationally separate, parent corporation and market leader in the Auto, Home, and Leisure business space.
Global megatrends will materially affect the Auto, Home, and Leisure business platforms during the next decade. The Internet-of-things, collaborative consumption and the emergence of autonomous vehicles will continue to foster disruptive business models and new entrants that will significantly change consumer behavior and traditional value propositions. For example: today, the largest transportation company in the world, Uber, owns no cars; the largest hotel chain in the world, Airbnb, owns no hotels; and, the largest media company in the world, Facebook, owns no media. Additionally, the most valuable company in the world, Google - as well as Tesla, Apple and many traditional vehicle manufacturers - has set a target to deliver self-driving vehicles to the public by 2020.
While these advancements in technology and subsequent market and customer disruptions represent an existential threat to current business models, they also present entrepreneurs with the potential to create large societal benefits by developing business opportunities that anticipate or shape these disruptions. With this in mind, A3 Innovation Labs was established as a physically and operationally autonomous unit of AAA Northern California, Nevada, Utah (NCNU) to embrace these megatrends, disruptive technologies and business models and launch and scale a portfolio of businesses that will be successful in foothold markets and subsequently thrive among mainstream consumers.
Just as AAA was born of disruptive forces in personal mobility 116years ago with the emergence of the automobile, disruptive forces once again provide us with a tremendous opportunity for radical innovation and growth. An organization focused on service, not profits, AAA is uniquely positioned to be a trusted, technology- and vehicle-agnostic source of physical and digital services and advice. This link to AAA - our brand, loyal 49 million Member franchise, omni-channel distribution network, automotive and insurance expertise as well as other privileged assets and distinct capabilities - uniquely positions A3 Labs to scale new solutions far more quickly than would otherwise be possible, helping more people to make sense of their rapidly changing, complex and connected world. Together, AAA will empower A3 Labs with the resources and market presence to be successful and A3 Labs will enable AAA with agile innovation and the business models and platforms to emerge as a force in the connected world of mobility, home, leisure and potentially health and financial services; we will shape the landscape of our future.
_What you'll do_
Contribute to a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team effort to identify, scope, pilot and launch new products and services.
* Research Planning and Execution. Lead and execute primary ethnographic research to gain insights on the market and customer fit of new concepts, products and services. Identify the key questions associated with developing, designing and refining all aspects of business and product development.
* Prepare and Communicate Insights. Analyze, prepare and share research insights with project leads and other colleagues to help guide and refine the development of concepts, products and services.
* The Voice of the Customer. Develop a rich, qualitative understanding of the customer. You are responsible for understanding and communicating the voice of the customer.
* Identify Opportunity and Mitigate Risk. Participate in ideation through launch of new products and services, using your skills and expertise to identify opportunity and mitigate risk.
* Manage Vendor Relationships. Manage relationships with external service providers on a day-to-day basis. Provide perspective on innovative tools and methods that contribute that add value and insight.
_What you've done._
Ideally, you will have 7+ years of experience in Voice of the Customer, qualitative and quantitative market research roles. Your experience in the following areas demonstrates your creativity and ability to collaborate and contribute to a team-based effort to fulfill the mandate of A3 Innovation Labs:
* Ethnographic Market Research. Led ethnographic market research, identifying key questions and developing research plans, including the questions, target audience, and execution of the research.
* Research Design. Demonstrated a strong, intuitive ability to formulate research plans.
* Agency and Client Perspectives. Experience with both an agency and a client.
* Complement Quantitative Research. Worked closely with quantitative market researchers to complement the insights from their analytical approach. Demonstrated a robust understanding of how qualitative and quantitative market research complements the other.
* Contextual Insight. Developed an understanding of the business space relevant to AAA, such as mobility, home, leisure/travel, insurance and financial services.
_What you'll need to succeed._
* You use good judgment, and you contribute to our strategy and align your actions to support it.
* You apply disciplined fact-based judgment, balance rewards and risks, deliver on promises, and stay humble.
* You help build a performance organization with heart and you develop strong teams that embrace diversity.
* You consistently demonstrate structured thinking and you conduct strategic assessments in your sleep.
* You are a problem solver and you're able to make smart simplifying assumptions.
* You know how to evolve your thinking and strategy based on research, data, and industry trends.
* You have excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to work well with a range of people.
* You have a thorough understanding and ability to leverage the best of both agile and stage-gate development methodologies.
* You maintain a thought provoking strategic mindset while demonstrating the appropriate attention to detail, follow-through, and accountability required to turn concepts investments into successful products.
* You have excellent business writing skills and financial acumen.
* You have exceptional organizational, planning, and project management skills.
* You make sense of the ambiguous.
* You have a bachelor's degree in a related field; an MBA would be an asset.
_Why work for us _
* Impact. Reinvent AAA and the value propositions we will deliver to over 5.5MM Members _(56MM in North America)_ whose lives we help improve. Leverage the best of established corporate resources combined with start-up speed and agility to create real and meaningful impact.
* Development. Lead a high-profile team designed to develop and incubate new business concepts and leaders. Reporting directly to the Chief Strategy Officer this role has the support and entire Executive Team mindshare required for success.
* Recognition. We offer a competitive total compensation package including base salary, both annual and long-term lucrative performance bonuses, benefits, and 401(k) Company match with additional discretionary contribution potential.
* Lifestyle. We do honorable work, and we practice our values: respect, integrity, teamwork, and service.