Experienced General Chemistry Analyst- Scott, LA
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/17/2016
END DATE 10/15/2016
SGS North America
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY POSITION SUMMARY
Be able to both perform and supervise instrumental analyses in the lab using a variety of types of software. Be able to monitor and judge from throughout the lab. Be able to make standards and reagents and document work completely. Be able to do more complex LIMS updating and loading functions and use LIMS to obtain sample and job information. Be able to do data review functions in LIMS. Be able to understand underlying chemical principles. Be able to handle instrument maintenance and more advanced troubleshooting skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Calibrate, analyze, and judge samples using instrumental techniques as needed.
* Update and load work into LIMS. Use LIMS for appropriate background information.
* Apply technical judgment to determine if data reanalysis is needed.
* Appropriately use lab applications.
* Track instrument quality control.
* Appropriately follow safety, ethics, and quality control requirements for the work that is done.
Receive close supervision related to specific work activities, assignments, methods, etc; usually receive frequent surveillance over job activities; instructions are detailed and assignments are typical short-term.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor's degree (B. A.) in Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biology, or a related field from four-year college or university
* No prior experience necessary.
* Environmental laboratory experience a plus.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
* Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
* Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
* Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
* Basic personal computer skills including electronic mail, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
* The ability to meet commitments made to yourself and others, keeping the promises you make, and acknowledging and accepting the choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results they have led to.
* The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to others, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others.
* Demonstrate responsiveness and adaptability following change initiatives, and demonstrates ongoing support for change efforts.
* Understand and comprehend information, as well as find application and value from new knowledge.
* Exhibits high levels of energy and enthusiasm.
* Methodical and efficient in structuring tasks to be accomplished.
* The knowledge and ability to use computers and technology efficiently and effectively.
* Identifies and resolves issues timely by gathering and analyzing information skillfully.
* Follows detailed procedures to ensure accuracy in the entry and reporting of data.
* Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
* Demonstrates upmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles.
* Demonstrates ability to make independent and sound decisions in all situations.
* Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
* Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed.
* Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
* Moving about on foot to accomplish task for sustained periods of time.
* Standing, particularly for sustained periods of time.
* Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving object horizontally from position to position.
* Substantial movements (motion) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers in a repetitive manner.
* Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
* Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
* Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
* Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
* Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature.
* Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects.
* Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
* Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office/production setting with adequate ventilation.
* Work near moving mechanical parts.
* Air contamination (i.e., dust, fume, smoke, toxic conditions, disagreeable odors)
* Toxic or caustic chemicals.
* Moderate noise (examples: business office with computers and printers, light traffic).
* Regular work schedule.
* Minimal travel.
* To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
* This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
* SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application BECAUSE OF A DISABILITY, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will be called back shortly. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.