Extrusion/Plastics Shift Supervisor (2016267) 9/2/2016
Sonoco Products Company
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Tracking Code
Founded in 1899 on the belief that "People Build Businesses," Sonoco is a $5 billion global manufacturer of consumer and industrial packaging products and provider of packaging services. With more than 300 operations worldwide and an employee-focused value system and culture, we believe in building from within, encourage employees to take ownership of their careers and give them the tools and opportunities to help them reach their full potential. We offer world-class benefits, value people and teamwork, celebrate challenges, reward success, are committed to employee satisfaction and work/life balance, and are recognized worldwide for our commitment to growing future leaders.
Sonoco is looking for a Shift Supervisor in our plastics extrusion operation in Hanover, PA. The successful candidate, with direction form the plant manager, is accountable for safety, quality, productivity, material handling, cost performance, and employee relations for assigned shift and department.
* Job requires efficient use of resources (labor, materials, and equipment) to manufacture quality products at lowest possible cost. Supervise and coordinate the activities of hourly employees on assigned shift.
* Position is responsible for implementing and maintains best manufacturing practices and regulatory compliance for assigned shift.
* Ensure safety of all employees; lead safety teams and programs on assigned shift to prevent injuries. Comply with all federal, state, and local environmental and safety regulations (EPA, OSHA, required annual inspections, etc.)
* Supervise all production activities for assigned shift. Schedule shift employees. Crew machines to cover vacations, absence, and overtime.
* Meet or exceed productivity, cost, or other performance metric expectations for assigned shift. Implement and maintain best manufacturing practices.
* Hire, train, direct and mentor shift employees with diverse language, cultural and educational background.
* Direct shift in continuous improvement initiatives, such as BBS with safety, 6 Sigma, Kaizen events, and lean manufacturing.
* Coordinate production scheduling on shift to meet customer demands, to manage overtime, to minimize inventory, and to reduce costs.
* Support quality initiative to ensure product meets or exceeds customer expectations. Ensure employees complete required quality checks and audits.
* Build and maintain productive employee relationships, driving employee satisfactions.
* Provide direction, training, and development as needed.
* Provide coaching, counseling, or discipline as needed.
* Recommend disciplinary action to Production Manager.
* Identify, propose, and implement capital projects to improve operational performance.
* Prepare or approve required shift documentation: Production reports, time cards, et
* Bachelors degree in business, science or engineering preferred or equivalent experience leading manufacturing operations
* Minimum 2 years pertinent experience with leadership and production or strong co-op and internship will be considered
* Operations experience within the military and leadership background can by transferred
* Proven leadership experience
* Solid communication skills
* Ability to work a 12 hour rotating shift
Hanover, Pennsylvania, United States