Facility Safety Manager
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/10/2016
END DATE 12/20/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONJob Description
To administer and direct the Safety and Loss Prevention, Fleet Safety and Environmental Programs at the Distribution Center level, including all related training. Responsible for enforcement of all policies and procedures regarding security. Responsible for instituting proactive measures to identify hazards and regulatory non-compliance, for identifying trends or opportunities to reduce worker s compensation (WC), and auto liability (AL) as well as assist HR with claims management. Responsible for communication to the GM, Regional Director SLP and National Director of Risk Management regarding all serious and non-standard activities and incidents.
EEO / VETERANS / DISABLED
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
* Develop and maintain safety programs to ensure local, regional and national objectives are met, including implementation of planned facility and equipment inspections.
* Facilitate safety committee meetings and related activities including minutes and corrective action documentation.
* Deliver or assist with New Hire Safety/Risk Training, annual Risk/ Safety training, remedial Safety Training, First Aid/CPR and AED training per UNFI standards.
* Coordinate job hazard assessments and recommend measures to control exposures, including substitution of less hazardous materials, use of PPE (personal protective equipment), work practice changes and engineering controls.
* Serve on and coordinate the facility s Emergency Action Team and maintain an updated Emergency Action Plan.
* Work closely with refrigeration system consultants, underground/above ground tank coordinators, and personal protective equipment vendors.
* Train associates, supervisors, and managers in the proper methods of incident investigation to determine root causes of loss, safety inspections, report formats and compliance with safety laws and regulations.
* Coordinate incident investigations according to current policies and manage the process for any necessary corrective actions for WC, AL, and GL incidents.
* Work with Human Resources and Operations to manage the facility return to work program and help obtain written medical disposition from physicians at the time of treatment to control the cost of lost work days.
* Coordinate claims reporting of all vehicle & Powered Industrial Truck (PIT) accidents, WC injuries & illnesses, and GL/products liability within 24 hours.
* Facilitate and track Injury Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Food Defense and Security, and Fleet Safety programs to ensure adherence to UNFI Standards.
* Work with Human Resources, Operations, Regional SLP Directors, and Legal to implement UNFI s Workplace Violence Awareness and Prevention Program.
* Supervise the Fleet Safety Coordinator (should one be hired).
* Implement security strategies including monitoring and reviewing CCTV, access control (ID badges, parking passes) and other security systems.
* Assist in managing contracted security guard performance, ensure adherence to UNFI policies and procedures and facilitate resolutions.
* Assist management in the implementation and monitoring of loss prevention policies and procedures in order to minimize theft and to ensure the safety and well being of all employees by conducting trend analysis and providing recommendations for corrections or improvement.
* Review and analyze processes to reduce inventory shrinkage; report shrinkage trends and mitigation efforts to local, regional and corporate management.
* Perform duties in accordance with HACCP and Safe Quality Food (SQF) policies and procedures, as appropriate for location
* Bachelor s degree preferred.
* Professional certification preferred (e.g. CPP, CSP, ARM, etc.)
* Strong background in warehouse/distribution safety (OSHA), with an emphasis in powered industrial equipment.
* Strong background in DOT rules and regulations.
* History of effectively working in a team environment.
* Strong background in Loss Prevention and Security.
* Must possess a working knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations pertaining to Occupational Safety and Health, Fleet Safety/DOT, EPA, FDA/USDA/USDA (Food Safety) and Homeland Security regulations.
* 5 10 years experience preferred in Occupational Safety and Health/Fleet Safety/DOT and/or Loss Prevention/Security.
* Experience in handling of WC, AL, and GL claims.
* System implementation experience is preferred
* Professional and tactful with ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Strong training and coaching skills.
* Able to work flexible hours
* Ability to travel occasionally.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, projectors, security cameras, phones and other.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color or any other protected class.