Faculty Scientist II-Bench-Research MMCRI - CORE
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 8/20/2016
END DATE 10/28/2016
Maine Medical Center
JOB DESCRIPTIONAPPLY Job Details:
* Summary of Position Description
Conducts a variety of research activities, often heading projects independently, but may enlist the assistance of more experienced scientists as collaborators. This position will receive mentorship from one or more senior scientists in areas such as grant writing and applications, teaching, and navigating research administration and research compliance issues. This position will be responsible for the independent conception of research projects, obtaining external funding for these projects and the publication of results from these projects in a timely manner. These studies should be of sufficient importance and impact to bring recognition to the investigator, resulting in increased or sustained funding, etc. This individual will assist in the development of operational guidelines for the research. As an independent position, the individual should exercise good judgment in decision making with regard to the management of personnel, budgets, and other matters that pertain to running a program or project as an independent investigator. With regard to problem-solving, the individual in this position should know the limitations of his or her problem solving skills both scientifically and administratively and should use good judgment to seek advice and input from reliable sources when the problem is beyond the scope of his or her expertise. Follows safety, human subjects and animal use guidelines. Manages grants or projects including supervision of multiple staff, project reports, etc. Monitors the project budget. Where inventions or other intellectual property are developed during the course of the research, will contribute to the process of working with the patents and licensing office to seek appropriate rights. Ability to supervise and to coordinate efforts of several staff for complex internal/external groups. Position availability is directly related to grant funding.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
* Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English effectively
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Outstanding interpersonal skills.
* Visual acuity, manual dexterity, math skills and a scientific acumen are required.
* Doctoral degree in relevant biomedical discipline
* 5 years of experience as a Faculty Scientist I (or Assist Prof)
* Successful track record of R01 funding or equivalent research support
* First or Senior author publications in major peer-reviewed biomedical journals
* Evidence of beginning of national recognition in selected field as demonstrated by invited presentations at national biomedical meetings and invited reviews for major biomedical publications
* Demonstrated ability to design and conduct novel and potentially high impact biomedical experiments
* Evidence of significant mentorship and teaching accomplishments
* Evidence of significant institutional citizenship
Faculty Scientist II-Bench-Research MMCRI CORE