Fire and Restoration Crew Member
This job is no longer active.
View similar jobs.
POST DATE 9/12/2016
END DATE 10/18/2016
JOB DESCRIPTIONOFFICE LOCATIONWells, Manie (ME)ME301WORK WITH USThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in 69 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Visit www.nature.org/about-us to learn more.The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.POSITION SUMMARYThe Fire and Restoration Crew Member is a full time seasonal position. Priority tasks will be fire readiness, helping to implement controlled burns, mop up and patrolling, Fire effects monitoring and planning, as well as other stewardship needs.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSThe Fire and Restoration Crew member will participate on prescribed fire crews on both Conservancy's and partner properties in Southern Maine and New Hampshire. Field duties may include conducting fireline preparations, fuel reduction, equipment mobilizing, maintenance and repair of tools and equipment, supporting prescribed burn operations, and post burn monitoring. The crew member should expect to work with hand tools, pumps, chainsaws, ATV/UTV's, type six and type seven wildland engines, GPS devices and digital cameras. The crew may be required to work on some weekends.
* Crew member must be willing to perform a wide variety of tasks and remain flexible with short-notice scheduling adjustments.
* RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
* Assist with the management of fire adapted communities, including Pitch Pine-Scrub Oak Barrens, Scrub Oak Thickets, Oak Woodlands and Savannahs, Heathlands, and Grasslands, using prescribed fire and mechanical treatments.
* Work with staff, volunteers and our partners to finalize burn unit preparations, keeping equipment fire ready and help mobilize to project sites, participate in containment and mop-up operations.
* When interacting with the public and partners, communicate professionally about TNC's mission, fire ecology, wildfire hazards, and restoration efforts.
* Assist with post burn ecological monitoring.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* High school diploma and 6 months of related experience.
* Must be qualified as a Fire Fighter Type 2 (FFT2). Seehttp:
* Must achieve physical fitness standard as determined by local Fire Program Manager.
* Experience operating various types of equipment including chainsaws and brush cutters, ATVs/UTVs and heavy equipment forestry mowers (certified training preferred),
* Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, and driver's license).
* Experience with fire monitoring or biological monitoring.
* Ability to orient oneself in the field using map and compass.
* Valid state or international driver's license and the ability to tow a trailer.
* PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Certification in First Aid and CPR a plus
* Ability and willingness to follow instructions and knowledge of chain of command.
* Demonstrated commitment to safety and learning, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, to balance several tasks at once, and get along with a wide variety of people.
* Must be S-130.90 certified and pass the NWCG arduous level work capacity test.
* Ability and willingness to perform difficult physical work for extended and irregular periods, under adverse conditions and in various extremes of weather. Excellent physical conditioning and the ability to complete a standardized 3-mile fitness test carrying a 45-pound pack while walking on flat terrain in less than 45 minutes.
* Ability and willingness to work during the week and on weekends, and to travel frequently and on short notice. The project area includes sites in southern Maine and New Hampshire.
* Experience with Northeast geography, culture and natural history helpful.
* Ability to work in a high stress team environment.
* Works under close supervisionAUTO SAFETY POLICYThis position requires a valid driver's license and compliance with the Conservancy's Auto Safety Program. Employees may not drive Conservancy-owned/leased vehicles, rental cars, or personal vehicles on behalf of the Conservancy if considered 'high risk drivers.' Please see further details in the Auto Safety Program document available at www.nature.org/careers.Employment in this position will be contingent upon completion of a Vehicle Use Agreement, which may include a review of the prospective employee's motor vehicle record.HOW TO APPLYTo apply to position number44630, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:
59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 28, 2016.Click 'submit' to apply for the position or 'save for later' to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
* The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
* The successful applicant must meet the requirements of
* The Nature Conservancy's background screening process.
* Job Title:
* Fire and Restoration Crew Member
* Job ID:
* Full/Part Time:
* Full-Time .